Oily Clutch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh.go.on.then

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Second question of the day.

I've done 1500 miles on my rebuilt engine and the clutch started to slip. I've pulled the engine out today and the bell housing has a lot of oil in it with a large puddle in the bottom.

I changed the gearbox shaft seal when I originally put the engine in as the is play in the shaft. It does seem a little damp but what worries me is there seems to be a lot of oil spray behind the flywheel. The oil puddle seems like thinner oil than gearbox oil too.

Surely it wouldn't be leaking from the crank shaft would it? I don't have the tools to get the flywheel off so I need to gather them to check for sure. At only 1500 miles I just can't see why it would be the crankshaft unless anyone else has experienced this?

Cheers

Mike

If its behind the flywheel then it's likely to be the flywheel oil seal. Also check the ring seal in the flywheel. While the flywheel is off also check the case seam, check for cracks in the case and check the camshaft blanking plug.

Oh.go.on.then said:
Thanks Trikky. Looks like I had better get the flywheel off then which is what I had feared!

Don't worry, it may seem scary if you have never done one but it's nothing more than a tight nut. :D

I know exactly how you feel. Had to take my new one out after 3000 miles due to a faulty oil scraper ring a few years back.

If your taking the flywheel off, I'd replace the flywheel oil and O ring as a matter of course anyway,

If it is leaking from the cam blanking plug, (had this on a 1776cc i had when i slightly over filled it) you can fish it out with some brute force and fit the rubber type, saves splitting the case:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Cam-plug-new-style-rubber-for-cases-w-out-groove-040101157_act_shop.product_pID_79472_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a bit of a cheat but worked for me :mrgreen:

Alex VW Heritage said:
If your taking the flywheel off, I'd replace the flywheel oil and O ring as a matter of course anyway,

If it is leaking from the cam blanking plug, (had this on a 1776cc i had when i slightly over filled it) you can fish it out with some brute force and fit the rubber type, saves splitting the case:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Cam-plug-new-style-rubber-for-cases-w-out-groove-040101157_act_shop.product_pID_79472_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a bit of a cheat but worked for me :mrgreen:

Thanks Alex. I'm curious to get the flywheel off now to find out what the problem is. When you say over filled it I'm assuming you mean oil?

I'm asking as my engine appears over filled when left standing because the oil comes down from the oil filter which is at the top of the engine bay on the spare wheel well. When you start the engine the oil is then where it should be on the dipstick. I hope this isn't causing me any problems?

Cheers

Mike

Here's today's update,

So the flywheel is off and it's not the engine leaking, it must be the box input shaft.

So here's the advice I'm looking for:

I changed the gearbox input shaft seal when I changed the engine 6 months or 1500miles ago. It must be leaking as the flywheel oil seal seems pretty good and dry to me.

Why would the gearbox shaft seal leak already? Is there anything I can do to sort it?

Obviously I have a new seal to put in but this is the fourth time in a year getting the engine out and each time brings me closer to divorce.

If I can help it I don't want to change the gearbox as although it is like the wife (wines a lot and full of broken teeth) I don't want to spend the money if possible.

Cheers

Mike

Seems odd - surely the smell alone would be enough to tell you if it was gear oil or engine oil in the bellhousing?

It also seems a bit odd that oil would be behind the flywheel if its leaking from the gearbox.

As for why - only inspection can reveal that. eg. faulty seal, damaged seal or contact surface etc.

Here's the funny thing, my block appears to be covered in some sort of lacquer - which is shiny and oil coloured! With my oily figures I thought it was oil, its only when I got the flywheel off I realised it wasn't oil at all. The flywheel is oily though.

Second confession, I didn't smell the oil that had pooled before cleaning it up. I rubbed it between my fingers and it seemed too thin to me but obviously not!

I'll take the seal out tonight from the box shaft and see what I can see.

Cheers Trikky

Oh.go.on.then said:
Could a worn bearing in the flywheel gland nut cause the input shaft to flap around a bit and oil get passed the seal?

Just a thought

This would cause the centre plate to be slightly off centre resulting in clutch judder.

Latest posts