Ok, plan B

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs hoskins

Reaction score
Following over reaction to poor running engine, ie it's buggered so I must need a new one, let's try a more measured approach

Engine is misfiring and running very very hot

I've checked / changed...... Plugs, points , condenser, coil, ignition timing, rotor arm and all are ok

Where next ?

It actually runs ok , ie speed, power etc. but farts, and the heat/ smell coming from engine bay, particularly from panel above the exhaust is much much hotter than it normally is. Actually can't touch the panel above the exhaust.

Some I'm thinking carbs, valves, compression test, ......anything else ?

Also check for any air leaks, mine was running hot and backfiring on over-run due to a leak where the exhaust manifold joins the head, I also had hot running just before my fuel pump (cb rotary) packed up.

Tinware in tact.
cardboard pipework in engine bay in tact.
Standard air filter a must.
+ all of the above.

Rich

Mind you - the valance above the exhaust does get hot when the engine is at operating temperature as it's just about touching the silencer - so I wouldn't assume from this alone you've got a major problem although the previous responses are sound advice

If you are sure everything is spot on then it could be running 'lean' this will cause it to run hot and pop back
(fart) better to be run a bit rich than lean try and richen it up a bit and see how it goes

What exhaust and what air filter set up are you running?

You haven't mentioned valve clearance's, when were these last checked?

Could be a combination of things double check your timing, plug gap, and fan housing for blockages also check your
exhaust & heat exchangers.

whats your fuel economy like? if its running lean then its likely quite good..

I had running hot and misfiring last summer in france. ambient temperature was higher, van fully loaded and me trying to chase down another camper on the hilly road from Cherbourg down to Brittany.

The misfiring was due to a set of brand new points being crap and misfiring when hot. so try replacing those with a known good set and check again
The running hot was because following tune up and the crap points I mistakenly thought it was a bit retarded so advanced it by eye without timing gun, ended up advancing it too much and then backing it off too much

both happening together caused me to mess it all up!

now have electronic ignition and carry timing gun, spare set of points and condenser at all times!

Chaps, many thanks for all your help, it was a combination of all the above, which was sorted by Graham at midland earlybay
The timing mark on crank pulley was wrong, couple of valves closed , one duff plug, crap to wear, and two cylinders low on compression.......so although it couldn't pull the foreskin off a hedgehog(as my old dad used to say) it's going ok, so will get it through the summer gently, then get an engine rebuild......any suggestions in Warwickshire......graham seems a good guy, although he and his missus are crap at putting bus covers back in the carry bags :lol:

Latest posts