OLPRO awning, am I being reasonable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought an inflatable awning Olpro Breeze from Olpro August 2019. Had big problems with it whilst on its first trip in France. Roof filled with water and collapsed, one of the doors would not zip etc. E mailed them and put them in picture. On return awning sent back to them. They couldn’t find any fault ( bit surprising).It was returned to me and on next trip same zip problems and water this time coming in at bottom of side door. Took video etc. Had lots of people on the site look at it and all agreed there was clearly a problem. I’m practical and have had awnings for over 20years without problems. Contacted them and it was returned to them in October,got a written acknowledgment that they would replace in the same colour in December. Last week I rang and was told that it will now be March but no guarantee of this. I asked for a refund as I consider the delay unreasonable. They have refused and I’m about to issue proceedings. What do you think, am I being unreasonable? I’ve got plans booked end of Feb and March and have no awning.
I’m not too bothered about the legal aspect as I’m a retired solicitor and can get up to date on changes in the law, more interested in the general opinion of forumites as to whether being asked to wait until March ( hopefully)is reasonable having returned it in October.

I was originally under the impression that OLPRO designed and manufactured in the UK an impression formed by reading their website :-
“OLPRO was established in 2011, here in the fantastic Malvern Hills in Worcestershire, and have been designing and producing top quality camping and camper van equipment ever since. Created by camping experts for people who want to stand out” .......Their website wording.
It does however appear that they are waiting for the arrival of a container.....I know not from where 🤔

Huyrob

Hey bud, you may have one up on the rest of us with regards to the legalities of the situation. The wording you refer to does not mention manufacturing or making in any way shape or form but does mention designing and producing, producing being a little of a vagary I’m thinking. In any other year I would instantly side with your argument as to what is reasonable, however I’m guessing that if there’s little or no cash flow / sales because of current conditions and this may be where the issue lies, as in reluctance to honour a guarantee if you may or may not be still in business in a short while. I might be completely on the wrong track and their business might be booming or it may simply be a transportation issue because of the current situation. I’d try my utmost if it was me, to have a civilised conversation into the exact reasons for the delay before instigating anything on the legal side. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,try and have a nice chat :mrgreen:

Ozzie,
Believe me I’ve tried. They were and still are taking deposits, originally for December delivery ( as per their website) and now this is for March. Just in time model for business is fine ....until .
As it stands I have paid them and been waiting since October with a promise for March.
Will go s75 consumer credit act claim alongside small claims.

Ps Ozzie
When I spoke to them in September they said it was the busiest year they had experienced ! So no cash flow problems I would suggest until their shelves were empty!

Unreasonable I’d say. Go for the refund.

Thanks Sparky and Clem
I do have sympathy for retailers but, if they are are continuing to take deposits for goods which they have previously failed to deliver then.... my sympathy has run out and lots of others will suffer loss.

Huyrob said:
Thanks Sparky and Clem
I do have sympathy for retailers but, if they are are continuing to take deposits for goods which they have previously failed to deliver then.... my sympathy has run out and lots of others will suffer loss.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,I’ll join in then :shock: refund please ! :mrgreen:

They've been given ample opportunity to rectify the situation and have failed to do so.
Take your refund and buy an awning from a different supplier.

When you say the roof filled with water do you mean the walk through part? I find that happens in persistent heavy rain with my Vango airbeam as well. It’s just because of the height the awning and the bus roof gutter height are similar. It doesn’t collapse though, but you do have to push the walkthru roof up, to spill the puddle off it down the sides.
However if the zips not working, they should offer you a refund if your not happy. That would be good customer service.

Hi Mike,
No it wasn’t the walkthrough bit which, as you say you expect to have a few issues with. This was the main part of the roof between the 2 air beams. Granted the rainstorm in Provence was like nothing I had ever experienced. It was during the night and the volume of water must have quickly puddled, the weight of the trapped water then must have bellied the roof causing the beams to collapse. I acknowledged to OLPRO that even the locals thought the downpour was severe. The problem could easily be solved by the central stiffener beam having a additional “ sausage “ on the top forming a small apex to the otherwise flat section. This fell on deaf ears at OLPRO. After that experience I Velcro a section of 50 mm pipe insulation on the stiffener beam...not rocket science. The zips however remained the problem.

I notice on their website they say the awning is back in stock in March.
It looks from the pics as though your awning has three inflatable sausage beams between the main two standing support beams. I would have thought that should be plenty enough to stop it sagging. The Vango Kela 3 airbeam that I have, which looks very similar to yours, has only one cross beam or sausage shaped inflatable beam in the centre between the two main ones. It’s a good tight fit and I have never had any problems with the top sagging in torrential rain. Hope this helps. [emoji3]

Latest posts