One of the oldest bays?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philthyanimal

Reaction score
Hi All,
My mate has a 1968 bus. When he input the details into the m plate decoder it came out with a production date of 14th September 1967...Is this one of the earliest ones? The last numbers on the serial number is 021751...

Cheers
Phil.

Yep thats pretty early Thats a month and a half into production.

The earliest known and on here is number 67!

mine was made September 08 ,1967 :)

how you know what number off the production line it was ?

My 68's chassis number is 12,156. Production date August 25th, 1967. It's a Savannah Beige eight seater Transporter. I'll snag some photos and post them soon.

mines a 25th Aug '67 too (pearl white panelvan though)
cant remember the chassis number but i do know they must have churned them out because the Speedmaster bus is the same DOB but nearly 2000 vans away in numbers :shock:

jon 8)

I don't see how the factory could have made 12,000 buses that fast? I'm sure the numbers are chronological but 12,000 plus Type II's in roughly one month?!?!?!?!? I wonder if they had been building them for a while, stock-piled them and then put a July-August build dates on them? Or... maybe the numbers skip. Total production number for 1967 for all type II's is 162,741. If they made 162,741, I guess having one built within the first 12k is pretty good! :)

Looks like our buses could have been on the same line.. cool! Mine spent most of it's life in the desert but will be out of there shortly. It's a euro model with metal dash, no reverse lights and a few other cool bits.

There's a really early one on the samba at the moment, ( twin slider as well 8) ).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1122364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bananacustard said:
There's a really early one on the samba at the moment, ( twin slider as well 8) ).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1122364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i know ;)
its only one digit away from mine on the UK reg number (both E regs)

jon 8)

just looked mine up.....11633

speedmaster van........10188

ratherb-buggin...........12156

ALL on the same day :shock:

the daddy said:
just looked mine up.....11633

speedmaster van........10188

ratherb-buggin...........12156

ALL on the same day :shock:

That's a trip!!!!
I would have loved to watch the assembly line for just one day to watch them crank all those buses out!

Seriously early buses but I dont get the E reg thing though. I thought F reg went from August 67 to August 68 as that's when the new registration year always started. Always thought the last splits were E and the first bays were F :? .

Are all the E plate bays left hookers that have been re-registered and an E plate has been requested ? ( Not trying to be disparaging, just genuinely interested).

bananacustard said:
Seriously early buses but I dont get the E reg thing though. I thought F reg went from August 67 to August 68 as that's when the new registration year always started. Always thought the last splits were E and the first bays were F :? .

Are all the E plate bays left hookers that have been re-registered and an E plate has been requested ? ( Not trying to be disparaging, just genuinely interested).

As far as I know, E plates are issued in error my DVLA when they see 1967 year of manufacture. All bays technically should be F plated.

Clem said:
bananacustard said:

As far as I know, E plates are issued in error my DVLA when they see 1967 year of manufacture. All bays technically should be F plated.

As original, the E / F plate was issued by the DVLA based on the time of the application to register.
So allowing for the time to manufacture the bus, ship it over here to blighty, stick it on the forecourt and sell it, almost all original UK RHD Bays were F plate on point of first registration.

For historics, the DVLA issues an age related plate based upon date of manufacture (nearest approximation to the above), so a really early bay (July 67 build) will get an 'E' plate ;) .

Ive never seen a July build dated bus, August is (should be?) as early as it gets. :?

Ive always been amazed at just how fast, relatively, they were banging them out :shock:

Latest posts