One of the oldest bays?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was it the start or the end of august that the reg's changed?
as i know of 4 aug 67's that are all on E plates

if anyone wants their unregistered aug 67 reged as a E plate let me know ;)
our local branch (sidcup) seems to give them out :mrgreen:

mine in november TGU 369E
mates in april TGU 370E

TGU 371E ANYONE? 8)

Ive never seen a July build dated bus, August is (should be?) as early as it gets.

Production started in August 67 in Hanover and December 67 in Emden. The initial design stages for the bay were as far back as late 64/early 65, with the help of testing engineers from Borgward (Bremen) and Porsche.

By 66 tests were being done on prototypes (for heat resistance) and in August 67 production started, so there were no July built buses (apart from prototypes possibly) and the first UK reg would have been an F, (registered on or after 1st August).

There's loads of useful information in Vincent Molenaar and Alexander Prinz's excellent book.

Clem said:
Ive never seen a July build dated bus, August is (should be?) as early as it gets. :?

Ive always been amazed at just how fast, relatively, they were banging them out :shock:

Oops, my bad :oops:

and I should know as well as anyone that the age related plates can be a little, erm, odd.
Have a December 72 built beetle, issued with an M reg but they definitely know it was built 72 as it's still a historic vehicle and no tax :?

bananacustard said:
Ive never seen a July build dated bus, August is (should be?) as early as it gets.

Production started in August 67 in Hanover and December 67 in Emden. The initial design stages for the bay were as far back as late 64/early 65, with the help of testing engineers from Borgward (Bremen) and Porsche.

By 66 tests were being done on prototypes (for heat resistance) and in August 67 production started, so there were no July built buses (apart from prototypes possibly) and the first UK reg would have been an F, (registered on or after 1st August).

There's loads of useful information in Vincent Molenaar and Alexander Prinz's excellent book.

So what explains the four bays that are listed on VW-MPlate.com as being built in July 1967? Were the ones built in July prototypes then?

(1) 218 000 067 12 7
07/12/1967 Type 2 (T2) mod. 211(0) :
- Delivery van
- Sliding door right
- LHD 2110

(2) 268 000 833 13 7
07/13/1967 Type 2 (T2) mod. 261(0) :
- Single-cabin pick-up
- Luggage compartment door right
- LHD 2610 11

(3) 238 001 408 14 7
07/14/1967 Type 2 (T2) mod. 231(0) :
- Kombi
- Sliding door right
- LHD 2310 11

(4) 268 001 439 14 7
07/14/1967 Type 2 (T2) mod. 261(0) :
- Single-cabin pick-up
- Luggage compartment door right
- LHD 2610 11

my October 12th build date UK spec panel chasis is 32120 so those july build dates dont match the chassis nos and going by all the other chassis nos posted.glitch in the system?
dave another member of the 67 bay club :p

So what explains the four bays that are listed on VW-MPlate.com as being built in July 1967? Were the ones built in July prototypes then?

Who knows? I was just conveying what I read in Molenaar's book. Definitely would be interested to hear of any July buses in existence. You should get a 'birth certificate' from the VW museum in Wolfsburg based on your M plate and you should definitely write/email to Vincent Molenaar and let him know about these buses for his research on M plates etc.

His address was [email protected] when I wrote to him 6 years ago about my 68.

Exciting stuff :D !

When registering an import, the clerk is not always that concerned as to an exact date of manufacture, hence just filling in '1967' in the date section can produce an 'E' suffix as that was issued up to 31st July.
When Tim registered my bus, the date recorded is 01st January 1968, hence the 'F' plate. My bus has no 'M' plate and the chassis number has been hacked out at some time, I think it may have been scrapped before being returned to the road in the 1990's. It has been issued with a 'special vehicle identification number' by the DMV and this plate is rivited in place behind the passenger seat.
There is apparently a date stamp somewhere on the back of the speedo assembly showing 10/67 and two of the wheels have the same date stamp.
Regarding pre August production/prototypes etc, components were certainly being manufactured and stockpiled well before official production started, my drivers door is date stamped 4/67 and passenger door 3/67........... ;)

Pete B said:
When registering an import, the clerk is not always that concerned as to an exact date of manufacture, hence just filling in '1967' in the date section can produce an 'E' suffix as that was issued up to 31st July.
When Tim registered my bus, the date recorded is 01st January 1968, hence the 'F' plate. My bus has no 'M' plate and the chassis number has been hacked out at some time, I think it may have been scrapped before being returned to the road in the 1990's. It has been issued with a 'special vehicle identification number' by the DMV and this plate is rivited in place behind the passenger seat.
There is apparently a date stamp somewhere on the back of the speedo assembly showing 10/67 and two of the wheels have the same date stamp.
Regarding pre August production/prototypes etc, components were certainly being manufactured and stockpiled well before official production started, my drivers door is date stamped 4/67 and passenger door 3/67........... ;)

Hello, I was just wondering where the date stamps would be on the doors? 8)

Clem said:
Yep thats pretty early Thats a month and a half into production.

The earliest known and on here is number 67!
Number 38 on the oldest pickup http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6611&p=63990&hilit=Demian#p63990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

No Daves (67 Panel) is a RHD UK Panel Van

Member of the '67 bay club...twice over :D

So my 013xxx bay has no adjusters in the left and right round dash vents, but my 067xxx crewcab does. When was the switchover?

Err. looks like I will have to post an example pic later. :?
And a lazy search for the '68my only thread ended here. :mrgreen:

6a1cd426.jpg

SeeYa. Ted.

Latest posts