opinions please ....................

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly head

Reaction score
My current engine will be upgraded shortly so I will be looking to sell it. I am a relative newby and have no idea as to what it may be worth or what I should advertise it at. The engine was in the van when I purchased it in 2009 and I have completed approx 3-4k miles since.

I have driven to Italy and back and the only issue experienced was the alternator failing.

I was told by the previous seller the engine spec is as follows, unfortunately this is as much as we know:

1641cc
recently new heads
new pots and pistons
new lightened and balanced flywheel
009 diz with electronic ignition (i have just replaced as the previous unit was breaking down)
brand new dynamo
34 ICT's
genuine pulley
all tinware included

I can safely say that it has never caused us any problems apart from the alternator and electronic ignition packing up and a full video will be taken prior to the engine being removed.

any advice to what it may be worth to someone would be much appreciated

ta

I know it would be worth more to me, if I could actually drive it for ten or twenty miles while it`s still in your bus just to feel how it goes. Lots of people have different ideas as to what is a good engine, to some if it goes it`s good, to some it has to be perfect to be good and like new, and how much end float etc etc , so there`s your ball park. Off the top of my head I`d say somewhere between two and five hundred pounds complete, again depending on condition and the buyers interpretation of it. One last thing is how desperate the buyer is, are they booked off on a two week holiday in the bus just as their motor goes boom the week before.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It can be a real toughie that one :mrgreen:

Not wanting to disagree with ozzie but I think you should ask more than two to five hundred quid
I would be happy to pay £1000 for a good running turnkey engine ready to install - just paid more for a top end rebuild after I made mine go pop!

34ict's are worth £300 on their own with manifolds and linkage
If the tinware is all there and OG thats atleast a hundred quid
Heads £100 min
It all adds up

Post some pics of it static and running and see what everyone else thinks - did you replace the alternator with a dynamo?
Any exhaust included?

If selling as a full turnkey and end float is good and it runs well I would think more in £800 - £1000 range for that spec but best way is to see how they are trending on eBay. We thought the engine we got with our bus was a good one - then starting it up for the first time recently (not in the engine bay) a spark plug flew out of cylinder head like a bullet. Luckily no one was stood that side of the engine. The head had been helicoiled for the sparkplug to fit and it had failed - dramatically!

Cheers for the replies fellas

I changed the Dynamo for a 75A alternator but I want to kept that for my new engine so have the old new Dynamo for it if it's wanted.

I won't be selling it with the exhaust as I will also be keeping that for the new engine, hopefully anyway :lol:

I hadn't thought of offering someone a drive in it to test the engine, was going to just do a video but as I have time seems like a good idea, thanks ozziedog.

Being an engine novice how do I check the end float?

Cheers

Latest posts