Panel bond / Adhesive?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosytoes

Reaction score
Hello Folks
Need to do some bodywork replacement, Battery tray’s, rear corners, door skin etc. Was wondering what the consensus is on using some sort of adhesive instead of welding. I believe some of the stuff on the market now is as good as welding and is preferred by manufacturers dealership repair shops. If so what’s the best? easiest to use, best value etc. None of the work is structural btw.
Thanks in advance.

‘Toes.

Hi, last year I thought the same. Had my van imported from Spain after years in the sun after originally being from Germany and then used regularly in N.Ireland. Been in the family for years and inherited so had it brought ‘home’ from Spain.
I had not seen it in 6 years and assumed as it had been living in a hotter climate it wouldn’t need much work.
However upon inspection a considerable amount of bodywork had started to rust / rot.
I believed I could do this myself with adhesive, filler etc spent all last winter stripping it down and doing the work.
Now the majority of the areas are showing through again, areas bubbling and coming away where I had it repaired and sanded smooth last year.
I would advise welding to be the only long term approach unless you want to spend endless hours filling and sanding only to have it all undone again in 12 months time

I have now had mine with a welder for a few months and it’s now back to 100% just needs painted. However it was a considerable outlay to have the welding done but in the long run worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts