Petrol smell

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazzaworld

Reaction score
Driving back from the Brighton breeze we noticed a strong smell of petrol, we pulled onto the hard shoulder of the M23 but found no leak, we continued and the smell disappeared until we were almost home then we could smell petrol again, the only thing that's been changed is we've fitted a second hand locking petrol cap could this be the problem?

Could be the cap, I've got a locking cap that I think I bought from megabug, it's quite easy to put the cap on incorrectly, I did exactly that on Friday, pulled over and opened the flap to find it wet inside, the cap just wasn't on properly although it felt like it was.

I had this issue and it was the cap seal that is on the inside of the original fuel cap. I suspect that your caps not on properly or seal needs replacing and would recommend an og cap with the fibre type seal (the cork type are naff as ive found they shrink!) Word of warning.... check your fuel lines as a precaution

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

thefonze said:
I had this issue and it was the cap seal that is on the inside of the original fuel cap. I suspect that your caps not on properly or seal needs replacing and would recommend an og cap with the fibre type seal (the cork type are naff as ive found they shrink!) Word of warning.... check your fuel lines as a precaution

I think I need to get a new seal as the one on my cap( cork) looks knackered, does anyone know if you can buy a new seal, I've checked all fuel lines and they all look ok
Thank you

Bazza

I ahad this recently as well as a fuel leak. It turned out to be worn float needles (?) The barrell bit that stops the fuel being pumped in to the reservoir. Replaced them and all's good. Might be worth checking the carb as it will just suck the fumes through?

When I say leak, it was more a dribble that was only noticible when left for a week in the garage.

I bought the fibre type cap seal from custom and commercial, i could smell petrol everytime i went round a corner. Not as cheap as the cork sort but much better

i bought a locking cap of flee bay, brand new.

its blooming rubbish :sign0023:

:evil:

Latest posts