photos of cracked metalwork on front beam - help please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisandmiche

Reaction score
Hopefully you can access my album - If not please let me know.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p536/chrisandmiche/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please could you advise what is broken and what part I need to order to fix it.

Is the repair something a mobile mechanic can do or is it a 'tow to the garage' job????

Thanks for your help.

Chris

I'm no master in this but that is buggered!! It looks like its rusted through, i'd replace the whole beam mate as you don't know how bad the rest of it is!!

put a pic on for you to make it easier!!

IMG_0488.jpg

Yep the technical term used above is spot on - your beam is buggered.

I note there is a complete lack of grease on the idler pin - I expect the pin has seized ripping the rusty housing apart. Don't even think about welding this up - get a good rust free beam for about £100 - £150 and put that on. Don't drive the van at all - you will have no steering if the housing parts company with the beam which will probably be in the first mile. When you put the new beam on, grease every point at least once a year until it oozes out of the joints and swivels.

Thats what you term "Fucked"

New beam (good OG beam) plenty stock beams available either from the guys on here privately or the usual second hand dealers.
or
New beam made to your requirements theres a few fabricators on here that can sort you out

either way DO NOT DRIVE IT.

A decent mobile mechanic should be able to help you out if your able to wield tools and lift it up onto stands it will keep costs down or speak to your local club for assistance

Hi Chris

As I just put in the PM I sent you I've not seen one like this before, this was a bus that we supplied just under a year ago and is a US import, there was no sign of rust or anything when we prepped the vehicle for an MOT and no advisories were issued so I'm amazed that this has deteriorated so bad in less than a year, its not been caught on anything or jacked up badly has it as it looks like the housing has been torn away from the beam?

As others have said don't drive as if it breaks away completely you will have no steering at all!!, best bet is a replacement rust free beam but as this one came from the US I'm a bit perplexed as I've never seen a rusty beam on a US bus thats been here for less than a year.

The bus is a 70 so it has to be a 70 onwards beam as the the 68-69 beam has a different bolt pattern.

BJ1 said:
Yep the technical term used above is spot on - your beam is buggered.

I note there is a complete lack of grease on the idler pin - I expect the pin has seized ripping the rusty housing apart. Don't even think about welding this up - get a good rust free beam for about £100 - £150 and put that on. Don't drive the van at all - you will have no steering if the housing parts company with the beam which will probably be in the first mile. When you put the new beam on, grease every point at least once a year until it oozes out of the joints and swivels.
i would say youre spot on there ive seen them in better condition and theyve welded them back only to have them go again ..sorry but its new beam time be very carefull when moving it ie on youre drive to position it dry steering will probaly cause it to rip out..sorry to repeat it but whatever you do DONT DRIVE IT ..if it snaps you could end up pranging the van and then youve got accident damage to fix aswell... :(

confused to why it is new beam time? yes it is unsafe now - but I have repaired worse UK beams.
It just needs a idler housing - slamwerks maybe able to supply that part? if not I have made one up but it took ages....

I'd remove the beam - it's easier to repair - that way you can assess it prior to any repair as if the towers/end pressings are ok, then it should be saveable.

It does depend on your level of mechanical expertise of course...

D

Dude read the original post that should enlighten you......

They should be able to assist with spannering and hoisting the bus on stands even brewing up for the mechanic, but a full beam rebuild sounds a bit out of their comfort zone and the cost of a beam can be as cheap as 50 nicker upto whatever your willing to spend....

They may well be able to save the beam after they've swapped it out and redeem some of the costs.... either way the vans going to be back on the road quicker, theres a few useful contacts down Kent that may be upto earning some cash and may even know of a good beam going.....

SlammedKustom and Harlequin spring to mind

Sorry dont mean to be rude chrisandmiche

http://www.sussexkamperparts.co.uk/VW%20Parts%20for%20Sale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you are kent way, skp (now sussex campers) can't be that far, they normally have beams for sale or can post. Nice guys. Mind you so do FBI in wales..

Latest posts