Please help engine wont idle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_passion

Reaction score
Hi guys the last time i used my bus it was running great went to drive it today got 5 minutes down the road and it started spluttering and then the engine cut out and stopped. I managed to get it back home and have been playing about with the carb but it doesnt seem to be making any difference. Any help would be much appreciated thank you :D

Also if i hold my foot on the accelerator it runs and as soon as i take it off it cuts out

sounds like fuel, check and clean the carb may be full of crudd with it being stood for a while, dont mess with any control screws on the carb unless you know what you are doing it will only make it worse, there is plenty of info on the forums to help you set it up

Sounds like fuel. So fuel filter or carb jet blocked. As Cali said don't play with screws as it was working when parked up. Possibly dirty fuel.

Assuming it's a stock carb.

Check the fuel cutoff solenoid is working.

If that checks out as OK then remove and clean the idle jet (accessed from the right side of the carb)

Turn the ignition on and pull the wire off the solenoid then touch the wire back to the solenoid you should hear it "CLICK " if there's no click its not working. Don't forget to turn the ignition off when you have checked

Hope this helps

you may have already checked the obvious, but I had this exact same problem and it turned out is was the centre lead not fully engaged on the distributor.

Latest posts