plywood headliner

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlislecamper

Reaction score
howdy,managed to get sum 4mm ply wood and im gonna tackle the headliner this wkend,i have a dormy so gonna need scribed round,was wondering how the best way to finish it at the cab as it curves with the windscreen,sum pics would be great to give me sum ideas,many thanx phill :D

I dont have photos, but cut the headliner to follow the curves, then makes sure it overlaps the front and screw into place

Pete

I got my first piece in and took this picture , As Pete says it curves round front of roofline and also allows room for mirror ,
the wood goes on top of metal above windscreen Hope this helps a bit
100_2404.jpg

Grazy said:
I got my first piece in and took this picture , As Pete says it curves round front of roofline and also allows room for mirror ,
100_2404.jpg

I like how you've done that! I've been wondering about the headline in mine and think i'd like to do it wood like yours.

do you have any more pictures of how you did it. Where did you get the metal frame from that holds it??

bluenose said:
Grazy said:
100_2404.jpg

I like how you've done that! I've been wondering about the headline in mine and think i'd like to do it wood like yours.

do you have any more pictures of how you did it. Where did you get the metal frame from that holds it??

you can get og j trim for the sides of the bus and H profile og stuff too , a bit hard to come across but it does pop up from time to time, alternatively there is company in london i think that does nearly the same stuff but you have to purchase £100 quid of each of the profiles.......group buys are good for this and i`m sure there are a few peeps on here who`ll chip in with you.
the company is called Gooding Aluminium i believe google em and see

nice one thanks mate, i'm not ready for the job yet but maybe see if anyone fancies a group buy closer the time...

I didn't realise that was original, did they have wood headliners with vinyl on?

Hi mate this is my copy of a Westfalia Tin Top headliner , using 3mm Baltic Birch ply . I managed to find all the OG metal at a swap meet , It does come up on here , or Morecambandwize on here do it in a kit

Grazy said:
100_2404.jpg

Hi mate how did you stick the silver insulation to the roof? I wanting to do the same but wonder if in the sun on a hot day the heat would melt glue and cause the insulation to come away from the roof?

Cheers
J

Hi Jamie , i used double sided tape , Like you i figure it may come off in time :roll: , but when covered with the wood i cant see that it has fallen down !! :lol:

Cheers Graeme

where did you get the 3mm birch ply? I couldnt get this from my local timber suppliers the 4mm stuff they sold me also had the grain the wrong way so couldnt bend it into position.

As for insultaion I used lambs wool recyled insulation (like loft insulation but withouit the fibre galss), stuck it up with spray on carpet adhesive.

Baz

Latest posts