pop top roof springs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alice71

Reaction score
Just fitted my new roof and canvas can anyone tell me the best way to put the roof springs back on. when i took them off i took the screws out the plate which holds the box sections in the v position. They came off under alot of pressure and shot off down towards the floor.

What roof type?

Sounds like you're doing a Devon - if so, when fitting mine I needed 2 people - one to compress, and one to bang the retaining screw back in.

Yes shes a devon i was thinking that another person would be a good idea. I will give it a try thanks for the help.

Alice71 said:
Yes shes a devon i was thinking that another person would be a good idea. I will give it a try thanks for the help.

I can't remember if I put the 'mounting' part of the bracket in a vice whilst doing so - probably not to be honest so that I could get some decent leverage. It wasn't a particularly nice job as one slip and it'll take your eye out. Maybe wrap any impact zones in something soft beforehand!?

Hi there, I've done this but with a later Devon top with a slightly different spring configuration and I used a pair of cheap and nasty ratchet straps with a made to measure host strap that you can cut to size from a roll from b and q. I put the ratchet and the host strap on the spring then tightened it up just a little, I then put a few re useable cable ties around to keep them in position, you can do them one at a time and take your time. If it looks like it's coming off of centre, loosen it and start again.

Ozziedog.

Latest posts