porsche rear brakes?????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk2matt

Reaction score
right i might be able to get my hands on a rear axle out of a porsche 944.

what parts do i need to put the rear brakes on my van?

is it just the hubs or is there more???

asking as i really want to put my porsche wheels on my van and this is another step for me to get them on

i have been looking in to this a bit latley, i think your best bet is to just get every thing you can, and have a play, im sure you wioll need a racket of some discription fabricated.

i have found out that the little information about doing this brake conversation on a bus isnt because people are unhelpful, but because your options really are endless.

all in all i think that it is a matter of jus getting the bits and having a fiddle around.

there is difficulty in getting a brake setup with a handbrake for the rear, getting it to fit inthe wheel tub with the hub assembly offset and the porsche wheel offset

the bracket you will need to make is for mounting of the calliper

just out of interest, do you have the swing arms on this rear axle? may be interested.

NaFe

Nelly did a conversion using astra calipers and a merc crossdrilled disc with his own bracket, i have a set of the brackets for my own conversion same as his, this conversion is relatively easy as the PCD is the same and all you need to do is shave the hubs and fit the discs (£38 for a pair of vented crossdrilled) shave a little off the caliper with a grinder and bolt it up.

The handbrake cable can be easily modded for the astra cable as well. I'm using porsche adapters instead, worked out, including porsche adapters at about £150 per wheel all in. This includes milling, the caliper conversion bracket, the caliper, the cross drilled discs, the brake lines, and the porsche adapters.

30072008063.jpg

this is it fitted on nellys bus 8)

An alternative to building your own rear disc brakes set up.

Off the shelf complete kit, including all parts needed for the rear drum-to-disc conversion with 5x112 pcd.

http://www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMG_1493.jpg

if your gona do it....do it properly.....dont use the steel brake tat that people waste their time fitting - get some proper brakes. :lol:

Its your lucky day.....i just finished this write up about my conversion.
http://www.vwkd.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2235&sid=d4338ca9c5694fb3ee0b515b58cd81b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whats more...its an early bay.

great job Rich but most of us couldnt afford the parts let alone find them in the first place...

hats off to you, thats a proper job and alot of work involved.

i hate to ask but how much was it all in?

i bought the complete suspension and brake set up from a 944 s2 for £400. (that includes fronts as well so i guess you could say £200 for rears)
Machining for the back was £50
handbrake cable was £60 ish
I reused the 944 shocks...if you dont do this then add £50 for others.
the rest was my time...obviously i spent a lot of time working things out first time round (because to make like hard i also added in air suspension!) but could now easily do it in a weekend with those instructions.

so all in cost £360 inc shocks. i bought my parts for a good price and the car I bought the stuff from was a low mileage good condition car so i didnt need new pads, discs etc - i guess that could add to the cost. accounting for slightly higher parts costs I would say a £500 budget would be reasonable.

sounds a lot but now look up the price of conversions like creative do even with lesser brakes!

Having reserched and designed adaptor plates to the van hub first and ditching it due to unsatisfactory mounting options (and cost!) im pretty sure this is also a stronger set up than I could have achieved with adaptors.

i think the ultimate conversion is yours rich for those who want porsche setup all round. unfortunately think alot of people will be happy enough just to go with a "bolt on" kit. with exception to the machining of the hub - which someone else can do for you - the merc, astra setup is the chosen one.

NaFe

Don't get this - whats the matter with the drums that come as standard :?:

Surely they were designed to do the job in hand, so what are you gaining with going for the disc setup :!:

I find the servo discs on my '71 enough to pull the bus up to a stop, even when I severed a rear brakeline and
had to pinch seal it continue my journey braking wasn't a problem using only the remaining three corners.

Front disc equipped buses have a pressure release valve to stop the drums locking up under hard braking,
and believe me it doesn't take much pedal pressure to do it when the valve doesn't work.

I'd be interested to see how a four wheel disc bus behaves - what MC would you use etc.? ;)

...oh and the Ultimate Engineering kit price? It's 2 1/2 years old. :p

the main idea of my post was i had a chance of getting porsche rear brakes and am hoping to fit my porsche wheels

and having disc brakes is a bonus

i have drum brakes front and back at the moment and they work ok sometimes but want better brakes as they aint light vechicals.

plus im hoping to improve the engine so means more power

thanks to everyone that has given thier good input

Drums up front and discs at the back is a recipe for disaster.

gninnam said:
Don't get this - whats the matter with the drums that come as standard :?:

Surely they were designed to do the job in hand, so what are you gaining with going for the disc setup :!:

yes- fine (just) for 50-60 bhp...but i have the best part of 300bhp in my van. Enuf said!?

not sure who (if anyone) suggested discs should be run at the back and drums up front but no ...not a great idea. I have mine all round...bigger 928s4 at the front. I use a matched porsche Master cylinder on a lupo servo and a manual bias valve.

there are so many options out there on a whole scale from drums through to carbon disc set ups and ranging in quality of conversion - theres something for everyone...but most importantly it should match the state of tune and your driving requirements.

I'm running late bay front discs and t25 rear drums in my bay and that stops nicely

Its only got 120bhp but also worked with a 2.2 scooby with 140ish, not sure I'd want these brakes with much more though.

I asked a couple of the experts and most suggested unless you had huge front discs then rear disc where just gonna get you hurt. Nearly all suggested a servo was a bad idea too as the bus can cruise at over 80mph and without abs you'd end up locking the front end up and kissing your bum goodbye. :shock:

Getting brakes to work well, not too well and balance is a job for experts! At least the design is.

Seb

beetleseb i think what you say is not entirely correct - yes...a badly balanced system will be bad news but this is nothing to do with the fact you have discs or drums. The problem occurs when brakes like my conversion are fitted on for eg. the original M/C and bias valve which is not designed for the new brake set up...its easily overcome If you fit a manual bias valve so you can set your front / rear bias correctly to compensate for your new brake set up in that vehicle.

re the ABS/servo - im afraid i dont agree that it should be used with ABS- there are many examples of cars (even VW vans) using servos and not ABS for a start. The point of the servo is to make the brakes more responsive and easier to operate making the full braking potential available to all drivers. This asists those without such a strong foot who cant use the full braking capability of a non servod vehicle. so in everyday driving they are able to respond much quicker. This would not result in locking up as you tailor your brake usage to match - what it menas is that more braking is available with less effort and responses to incidents are quicker. I would say that in the event of an emergency most would tend to stamp on your pedals anyway locking up the system regardless of servo assistance.

personally I would rather lock up and back off the pedal than not be able to use that much braking in the first place!

Retro fitting brakes has been done and is being done effectively by many companies and individuals for many years with varying success. i dont agree that experts need to be used...just that common sense is used during the fitting!

im not leaving the fronts as they are as i already have the porsche front set-up disc conversion ready

but with having a set of fuch's i want to sort rears out to fit the wheels

so i thought as i was at the time able to get rear set-up too to go for it, but i was let down so i might just go for the drum conversion instead and end this thread as i started it

i see a few people are getting abit upset about some things that i did not intend to do like drums up front and disc rears :shock:

Latest posts