Positive or negative to auto choke?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beryls_boss

Reaction score
This may seem like a daft question, bear with me.
My old 34 pict caught fire the other day- put it out quickly so very lucky- and I’ve installed a brand new Chinese carb to get me on the road.
The auto choke doesn’t seem to work.
First question- I have it connected to the negative side of the coil, is that correct?
If that is ok then my issue may be the choke itself is on ‘too much’. The cam is all the way down, so max choke all the time , and I’ve adjusted the choke as advised elsewhere but it doesn’t affect the cam. Consequently it’s flooding totally. If I manually move the cam up so the choke is off it runs ok but how do I make that permanently happen?
Second question - how do I fix this issue or overuse the carb so the choke is off?
Image attached.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.
Kevin.

Update- I now realise that the wires were the wrong way round but I still have the same issue- choke just seems not to work

Update. Got it running. Choke was too far anti clockwise. Not exactly sure how to set it as ‘spot’ near electrical connector all the way round opposite side of notches but not an issue today.

Hi, glad you got it running, the choke deffo connects to the positive connection from the coil. Ive never adjusted the choke before but here is a pretty good link. http://www.vw-resource.com/choke2.html
Hope it helps,
Owen

Latest posts