powder coat or spray?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspira

Reaction score
Made the decision to get rid of my padded dash so stripped and prepared ready for ... spraying or powder coating. Now not sure which way to go. Any thoughts.

If you think about powder coating the front, just remember its thicker than paint so you may chip it getting things like switches and screws back in place. If you get satin powder coat on the dash top, that would be good and hard wearing.I'd go for body paint on the dash front though personally. Hth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is anything to be gained from powder coating your dash.

Most powder coaters media blast before powder coating, if they aren't careful enough they will warp the thin steel used on the dash.

Your other problem will be colour match and overall finish, if you paint one and powder coat the other chances are its going to look mismatched.

Satin black paint over both would be the way to go, if you want the dashboard body coloured you could always specify you want a satin finish.

I new this wouldn't be an easy decision. I've done the hard work now in preparing the top and front dash's back to bare metal and filled the extra holes and side vents (you get these on padded dashes). It sounds like a satin black on front and top is the way to go.

Thx

aspira said:
I new this wouldn't be an easy decision. I've done the hard work now in preparing the top and front dash's back to bare metal and filled the extra holes and side vents (you get these on padded dashes). It sounds like a satin black on front and top is the way to go.

Thx

The other thing is powder coating is done on raw bare steel so your repairs/filling in have to be perfect (and of course with no filler) otherwise is will look a mess, especially where them holes are/where you would see it as soon as you opened the door.

Would be paint for me, cheaper, safer, better colour match and easier to repair should you scratch/chip it.

Latest posts