Problem aligning sliding door

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxfella

Reaction score
After removing my sliding door during my restoration, I've now come to refitting it. I've got the door to sit perfectly in the hole with a nice panel gap all round which is even and the door pulls tight on the handle.

My problem is that when I fit the outer cover over the sliding rail, the door mechanism catches on the cover. I've drilled wider holes on the catch bolted to the body to try & slide it forward slightly and I've moved the rear catch as far back as it'll go, but it still catches.

What am I doing wrong? When I close the door, it looks like it needs about another 2-3mm clearance.

It worked perfectly before I removed it & I've not replaced any parts.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the delay!

Here are the pictures of the door gap & lock
I've measured the gaps both sides and they are:
4mm Front gap between sliding door & B post
5.5mm rear gap between sliding door & C post
4mm cap between sliding door bulge & sliding rail track cover

Have you tried loosening the bracket on the sliding door which the u bolt is attached to and pushing it futher in to the sliding door?

(edit; sorry ignore me, that won't help as it's the actual bracket catching)

can see from the pic the track cover is too far forward as the hole at the top of it is not lining up with the hole in the body

Thanks for the reply Bluenose. The holes do line up, I've just not put the bolt in as the latch keeps catching!
Do you have a photo of how yours looks & what the panel gaps are front & rear?

hi, here's a few photo's of mine, hope it gives you some clues!!

15552201426_3795cdf62e_c.jpg

15389892807_18a4f3a6a1_c.jpg

15552200976_d0fdea4a87_c.jpg

it might just be the angle of the photo but it looked to me like this hole wasn't lined up

15389892287_687702924d_c.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Do you know what the size of your gap between the panels is?
I'm wondering if I can drill out the holes on the door & slide the catch towards the rear a little more? That would push the door forward closer to the b pillar & increase the gap at the c post?

Not sure if the swing or of the arm would be affected?

Still can't understand why this is happening when it all worked perfectly before I removed it!

Try temporarily removing the catch on the B post.

If it then clears the cover by the C post then its just a case of getting the B post catch set right. (If not set just right the extra friction while closing will push the door slightly back just as the rear catch is trying to swivel).

Latest posts