Problem with Dells

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspira

Reaction score
Spent all day setting up my Dells and they were running really nicely. Went for a spin and thrashed it a bit. Big problem.
The right hand carb is sticking open about 25mm from the stop. Something seems to hav stuck open inside the right carb.

What could have happened? Anything obvious, or should I pull the carbs off? Would rather not since its not an easy job.

Any help much appreciated

They have ball bearings either end of the shaft ,one of these could be bust .disconnect linkage and see if it moves freely

Right, will give that a go. Is that something that happens to Dells? I cant think what else could be holding it open or how that might have happened.

Nope - spring still in place and working. It's definatly something inside, possibly the butterfly, bearing or shaft I guess that is stopping it returning to the throttle stop. I did floor it when testing. I wanted to make sure I was getting the carbs fully open but that should have only forced the carbs to open up to the throttle stop. Can't see what could have happened to cause any damage. I'll know more when I pull off the carb I guess.

Just a thought. I ground down the steel hex bar (linkage) to stop it hitting the alternator a little. Originally I had put some cork gaskets under the filter bases but I wanted to improve the geometry of the throttle leaver so took those out and ground the bar a little so it didn't rub. This allowed me to get the carbs fully open from the pedal which increased performance. Anyway, I don't think this is linked to the new problem - any thoughts?

Yep, came to the same conclusion. I'll get on it tonight.

Had another thought - what do you think?

I adjusted the linkage to make sure I was getting full throttle from the pedal. Could I have set it up so the pedal was causing the throttle to push overly hard on the throttle stop. So hard in fact that something had to give - and that's what has caused the damage?

If that assumption is right it at least explains why this happended and I'll need to be more careful in setting up the linkage to get full throttle. Another lesson learned in the book of VW knocks!

So now it's about assessing the extent of the damage. So at worst I've bent the shaft or possibly damaged the throttle plate I guess.

what are the 36 or 40s ?

its possible you bent the shaft

i have a couple of 36s that im using as spares/parts

That's very good to know, thank you. They're 36's. I'll get them off tonight. I've not stripped down the internals of a dell before, hopefully not too difficult.

I took the filter off when tunning the carbs and something fell in and logged itself in the chamber. Soon as I cleaned it out it worked as good as new what a relief.

Latest posts