Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that plastic filter still leaks try one of these. The metal ring acts as a sort of seal as well.

https://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2401362-Fuel-Filter-In-Tank-79-111209147A.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers Mike.
Got the new hose and clips today and a better fit so if the weather holds out this afternoon will have a go at fitting and see what happens (fingers crossed)

Weather relented so some work done today - hurrah :)

Replaced the fuel tank nipple with a new one and bought extra washers plus the metal petrol tank filter.
Installed and no leaks so another thing off of the list.

Also bought bolts for the 2 heater cables so I can connect up the heat exchangers and also the bolt for the carburettor.
Fitted and the heater levers now work the flaps in the heat exchangers and pressing the accelerator pedal now allows the engine to be revved (yes, the engine still works ;) )

Step back is the clutch. Pressing the clutch only moved the clutch lever on the side of the gearbox by about 10mm which is not enough to make the clutch do its job :(
It worked fine without the engine fitted so can only assume something is not right and will have to pull the engine I suppose :( :(

No pictures I'm afraid!!

Reckon it might be those little f#c+ers them clips that hold your thrust bearing in place, they really have the devil in them those little tykes. You might be able to see if you can get a light in there and take a zillion pics from different angles with a camera phone. Or an android endoscopic conversion is less than a tenner, a bit more for the IOS wi fi type, but just so so useful with the tiny end light too. All of them nowadays come with a ninety degree lens, a switchable light, a retrieval small magnet and a hook and you can even shove em down your spark plug hole and check your valves and piston top. :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, hours of fun and fiddling :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Reckon it might be those little f#c+ers them clips that hold your thrust bearing in place, they really have the devil in them those little tykes. You might be able to see if you can get a light in there and take a zillion pics from different angles with a camera phone. Or an android endoscopic conversion is less than a tenner, a bit more for the IOS wi fi type, but just so so useful with the tiny end light too. All of them nowadays come with a ninety degree lens, a switchable light, a retrieval small magnet and a hook and you can even shove em down your spark plug hole and check your valves and piston top. :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, hours of fun and fiddling :mrgreen:
Aye - all good fun.
Decorating at the mo so once finished will take the engine out and suss out what the f#ck is going on!!

One of those endoscope / boroscope thingies for less than a tenner may save you taking it out perhaps :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,but you’ll end up taking it out if that’s the case :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
One of those endoscope / boroscope thingies for less than a tenner may save you taking it out perhaps :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,but you’ll end up taking it out if that’s the case :mrgreen:

:D But where am I finding a hole big enough for the endoscope thingy to see if the clips are the culprit??

Down the side of the thrust bearing lever, where there’s enough space for the lever to move back and forth. These ‘’’Thingies’’’ are the size of somewheres between a bike brake cable and perhaps almost as big as a pencil. They vary in length but most are over a metre long. You can turn the light on at the end of them and have a good look up your nostril and further if you’re a bit adventurous :shock: :roll: :shock: That’s the beauty of them, they’re quite tiny but the images are almost like looking at it in daylight plus once you’ve screen shotted them, you can expand the image too. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,hours of fun :shock: :party0009: :party0009: :party0009: :party0009: :shock:

Removed the engine from the gearbox then had to jack up the rear of the van to get it out (wish I had put a removable valance in when I had the chance….)

20210411_140520.jpg

20210411_140506.jpg

My jack broke so I had to get another one :(

View of the gearbox - everything looks good in there - thrust bearing and all its bits look fine and move as they should.

20210411_161506.jpg

A video of the release bearing moving when the clutch pedal is depressed - does it look as it should (looks correct to me)?

https://youtu.be/vthS3ibfqlg

Engine in the garage a quick pic of the clutch assembly - thoughts?

20210411_162026.jpg

gvee said:
If I were a betting man... Check the pedal end of things. The gearbox end looks alright to me.
But you are a betting man :)
I checked the pedal end and all looks good from what I can see - I will make another exciting video when I get the chance!!

A quick vid of the pedal side - looks good to me.

https://youtu.be/vcCccr72FD0

Grabbed an hour tonight to look at the clutch issue and decided to adjust the bowden tube as looking at pictures and other people commenting that the sag wasn’t enough.
Now looking about right with the sag and the clutch cable is a better fit (not as much spare sticking out!)

A video of the clutch lever movement - looks good.

https://youtu.be/rqUexk1VyyY

A video of the clutch release bearing movement which looks to be right too.

https://youtu.be/2e-sYORvIM8

Next will be to put everything back and see what happens.

Cheers Si - yep, around 1.5 inch sag now (i had to extend the clutch cable tube by about 10mm) and every thing appears to work well.
Will try and get the engine back in at the weekend (weather permiting) and fingers crossed!!

Engine back in. Will get all the electrics re-connected and see if the changes made allow for the clutch to work.

01-05-2021

Today I connected up the electrics and filled up the petrol tank - fired up after some cranking due to fuel starvation ;)

Turned it off and connected the throttle cable, back in the cab and all good. The clutch appears to work now but will know better once it’s on the ground.

Started to add the drive shafts, bloody bearings had fallen out of one so had to disassemble and make it good plus smash a load of grease in - connected and all good.

20210501_164001.jpg

One problem was I used the washer that came with the bolts for connecting the drive shafts, but it didn’t seem to go far enough down so I couldn’t get the circlip on so used the original washer and all good.

20210501_172210.jpg

Was going to do the other one, but all bearings were in but one end was far too stiff and at the wrong angle so will pull this one apart and rebuild too.

Also added the foam around the engine tinware - a few pics.

20210501_150414.jpg

20210501_150403.jpg

20210501_150350.jpg

Will try and get the other drive shaft on if the weather holds out and maybe get it lowered on to the drive and test the clutch out!!

Latest posts