Re: 71 Ex-Danbury, the home straight.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• red

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • white

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • beige

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • blue

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • other...

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
despite the masses of votes to go back to blue i still havent made up my mind, i think when its in primer and ready to go ill just close my eyes and point to a tin then walk away and be surprised by what colour i chose, and if the guy sneaks in purple ill be forced to castrate him with a spoon.

anyway, not seen my van since it went off, im beginning to miss it. i think its the knowledge that next time i get her back ill be driving her. nearly 3 years and iv coped ok, since iv known its a long term project, and now with the end in sight im practically chewing my face off in anticipation.

i miss my bus :cry:

If only i had a garage, i have far too many plans, and far too little money. need to sort out some work space so i can rod the missus' old ka, and then get myself a bug to play with.

antoine said:
i have far too many plans, and far too little money.
Join the club ;)
A nice little lottery win would cover what i want to do :lol:
Did you get any more info on whether a k&L front beam could be fitted to a narrow 5 wheel set up?

likewise. every man needs toys.
No iv got nothing. i might stick with the trusty ball joints, after reading much of the worm can opened up in various threads on here, seems a nice 'easy' option. just need to start saving for when its back now, i can show my mini driving boss where the engine should go in a car. :lol:

well........ still no updates, i should be able to go over and get a few photos of the van up in the air in a couple of weeks. the bloke doing it has half retired for a while, and only took my van on because he knew i wasnt in a massive rush and he could have some time to spend with his new kids for once.
so this is a completely pointless post.

i just dont like being on page 2 :lol:

right, well, paid my man a visit yesterday since he said he had pulled the bus inside to make a start.
i would have a shed load of pics before he does anything to compare when things have been done but im having issues with the bucket giving me lots of errors. not loving it but i shal persevere.

until then the general schedule is,
get the welding and body work sorted by christmas and get some primer on it, then put it to one side for a few months until it warms up enough for the topcoat to have any chance of hardening properly.
so nice new metal should be done in the next few weeks. then im afraid everyone will have to wait for shiny.
and after that, its rewire and engine rebuild. should be on the road for next summer, (fingers, toes, testes..... crossed). :D

finally got it working. so heres some pics of what we have currently. (the dodgy repairs and warped welding are all mine :roll:

SDC10464.jpg

SDC10455.jpg

SDC10454.jpg

SDC10456.jpg

SDC10457.jpg

SDC10458.jpg

SDC10459-1.jpg

SDC10460.jpg

SDC10461.jpg

SDC10462.jpg

SDC10463.jpg

There were some nice long panel shots showing my lovely overheated welds and slightly warped arches, but my camera appears to have gone mental and deleted them.

anyhow, any pictures from now on mean progress. so i shall just have to keep spending my mondays/fridays off pestering the very nice man until he gets pissed off and tells me to get out of his workshop.

antoine said:
There were some nice long panel shots showing my lovely overheated welds and slightly warped arches, but my camera appears to have gone mental and deleted them.

Found them
SDC10453.jpg

SDC10452.jpg

SDC10450.jpg

just got back from another van visit. and despite the weather and the film of ice on the workshop floor work has been going well. my back end (ooh err) has been tidied up considerably,
SDC10467.jpg

SDC10466.jpg

SDC10465.jpg

the front panel has had a skim and looks the right shape again, but i couldnt get in enough to take a photo, and the welding is set for next week. so hopefully next time i update this there will be doors, and primer on the bus. for the first time in 3 years. :D

aye, were getting there. ill have to go have a look soonish and see where were at. once its welded and primered its going to sit a while until it warms up outside, so the paint will harden.

on a lighter note, anyone know when they stopped making the 'proper early' shape. i know, the production year for mine is '71 which means it was made in the tail end of 1970. and the real crossdressers started around mid '71 so im guessing they were making them from the early part of the year.

I did decode my m-plate, but iv lost all the info but i seem to remember it said it left the factory around the 10th of December 1970. does this make it one of the very last real earlies??? despite being mechanically a fat chick. lol.

Photo-0018jmj.jpg

ok, time for an update where it looks like something has happened.

i went to work today after spending 3 days in bed dying of manfluenza (i didnt ring in sick, i just wasnt meant to be working until today) but due to still being half dead and about as much use as a waterproof sponge i got sent home, about the same time as this i got a text saying my van was in primer and most of the welding was done. so i hightailed it to the workshop and looked at the prettiness.

SDC10595.jpg

SDC10594.jpg

SDC10593.jpg

SDC10592.jpg

SDC10591.jpg

SDC10590.jpg

SDC10589.jpg

getting there. doors next week, then... covered up till its warmer. :roll:

Hi m8, nice work, have you decided on the colour yet? How about L 11 H (04) sierra yellow was an Aug '70> colour and I for one love it 8)

Just

cheers, i cant take any credit for it anymore unfortunately. im thinking im going to go red to the gutter and white roof. im a bit picky when it comes to colours, im intending to wash it so i wont go beige, i think that looks better with a little rust, neptune blue haunts my nightmares, iv never been a huge fan of yellow, even though some of the ones iv seen are stunning (the missus hates yellow and would kill me). white would drive me mad trying to clean it constantly, and iv confused myself as to other colour options. its been a long day...

Here you go http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, that will drive you mad :lol:

Just

yeah thats where i found the year specific colours. im tempted to tell the bloke to surprise me with the paint, but i know id walk into a pink van with green stripes lol. it can be a surprise for everyone on here, it'll be a few months yet though.

Looking good matey 8)

Just a thought - isn't primer usually not very good, long term, at keeping moisture out??

quite the opposite of good as far as i remember, its meant to absorb the moisture to make the topcoat adhere better is it not?

its ok, it wont have a roof either so its going to be covered up and quite thoroughly waterproofed.

i hope. :?

Latest posts