Rear Bearing Replacement on a '71

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buss69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just replaced the rear bearings (inner and outer) on my '71 but I'm not sure on the fit.

When I removed the old bearings the inners and their replacements seem the same.
The outers are not however. The original outer bearings that were fitted came with a pressed steel cage that stops the bearing being pushed too far back into the housing. The new ones don't. All new outer bearings are the same from all suppliers (i've bought sets from heritage and C&C) and even went to a local bearing shop, the originals are no longer made.

My problem is this, how do you stop the outer bearing from being pushed too far into the housing? Do I need to use the original spacer or one that is longer? So far I have come across three different sizes of spacer. Which one do I use? For now I've gone with the original spacer but am a bit nervous about fitting the stub axles in case i've got the wrong setup. Any help would be really appreciated cheers.

This is how I did my 71's rear bearings. I made a bearing puller (threaded rod, washers and nuts), I then pulled both bearings (one at a time) into the housing until they both bottomed out on the step (built in).

Yetti59 said:
This is how I did my 71's rear bearings. I made a bearing puller (threaded rod, washers and nuts), I then pulled both bearings (one at a time) into the housing until they both bottomed out on the step (built in).

Did you replace the bearings with the new ones commonly available or did you have NOS items. If you used new, how has it all gone back together with regard to the spacers? Have you fitted the half shafts?

Cheers

Your bearings should look like this

the inner race of the outer bearing is not fixed.

You must use the original VW spacer (like the removable inner race but stamped VW and 3 times the length)

mattp said:
Your bearings should look like this

the inner race of the outer bearing is not fixed.

You must use the original VW spacer (like the removable inner race but stamped VW and 3 times the length)

Yep, have all that and spacers too. The issue I have is the spacer size.

Also what is C3 clearance?

You use the same spacers with either the old-style or new-style outer roller bearings. The length is 42.75 mm. The original spacer OD was 42 mm, but those were
superseded by a new design that has an OD 46 mm, when they upped the Vanagon axle nut torque to 320 ft-lbs or some such. The bigger spacers cannot be removed or
installed with the bearings in place, unlike the original ones.

The new-style roller bearing outer race/roller assembly is installed flush with its bore in the bearing housing.

kreemoweet said:
You use the same spacers with either the old-style or new-style outer roller bearings. The length is 42.75 mm. The original spacer OD was 42 mm, but those were
superseded by a new design that has an OD 46 mm, when they upped the Vanagon axle nut torque to 320 ft-lbs or some such. The bigger spacers cannot be removed or
installed with the bearings in place, unlike the original ones.

The new-style roller bearing outer race/roller assembly is installed flush with its bore in the bearing housing.

Thanks for this info, definitely a help. So that explains two of the three spacers I have then. It sounds like one of the two sets I bought are original earlier items. For the record I used my originals but the other set of replacements have the same internal and external diameters but are longer than my originals. I'm not sure by how much I'll check tomorrow. Why is this spacer longer? I did wonder if this was to compensate for the lack of cage that the original outer bearing sits in. This cage prevents the bearing being pressed too far into the housing but the new one does not have this cage. What stops the new bearing from being pushed too far in?

You might have a spacer in your collection that was used in the earlier (pre-'71) bearing stack, which was a little different. The inner race of the new-style
outer bearing is just like the between-bearing spacer, only shorter at 19 mm.

I've seen reports that recently obtained Genuine VW 46-mm OD spacers are a bit longer than the originals. I don't think that would affect anything
adversely, except brake-shoe-to-drum fit perhaps. They would be an advantage if you have new VW Brazil backing plates, which are slightly different
from original German, and might rub on the drum unless the longer spacers are used. However, my '71 is using the original 42.75 mm spacers and the
new backing plates, and there is no rubbing. I think I have Brembo drums, and that might make a difference.

Buss69 said:
What stops the new bearing from being pushed too far in.

Using a pressing-in tool that has a larger diameter than the bore would do the trick.

kreemoweet said:
You might have a spacer in your collection that was used in the earlier (pre-'71) bearing stack, which was a little different. The inner race of the new-style
outer bearing is just like the between-bearing spacer, only shorter at 19 mm.

I've seen reports that recently obtained Genuine VW 46-mm OD spacers are a bit longer than the originals. I don't think that would affect anything
adversely, except brake-shoe-to-drum fit perhaps. They would be an advantage if you have new VW Brazil backing plates, which are slightly different
from original German, and might rub on the drum unless the longer spacers are used. However, my '71 is using the original 42.75 mm spacers and the
new backing plates, and there is no rubbing. I think I have Brembo drums, and that might make a difference.

Buss69 said:
What stops the new bearing from being pushed too far in.

Using a pressing-in tool that has a larger diameter than the bore would do the trick.

Cheers, really appreciate the input, looks like I have some measuring to do over the weekend.

Latest posts