Rear brakes keep self adjusting the bastards!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraggle

Reaction score
Both of my rear brakes keep self adjusting to the loosest setting after about 150 miles.....it's doing my head in having to keep adjusting them! My bus is a 68.

Is it new backing plates? If so where does them?

If not....

Then any help much appreciated, Ta

Fraggle

Hi Mate

Have you got any spring clip thingies on your adjusters? Maybe they're missing and the adjusters keep adjusting themselves.

Have you lowered it yet? Go on, you know it makes sense!!

Are the adjuster springs missing from the backing plates? I think you can buy those separately, don't know how they're fitted though..

I've have the same problem on my 68. I believe the threads get worn on the backing plate and also the thread on the adjusters. A new adjuster is no problem but the backing plate thread is a bit more tricky. I don't know of anyone doing new 68 backing plates but they are the same as the later split screen ones so there should be plenty of second hand ones out there or even some nos ones. I've resigned myself to frequent brake adjustment until I find some. :(

The backing plate isn't threaded, the adjusters are and just sit into a bore in the backing plate.

3 & 4 in the diagram

t204900.gif

:oops: I've totally misunderstood how these adjusters work. Apologies to Fraggle for this misinformation.

Note to self. Take rear drums off and have a good look at how my brakes work.

Fraggle said:
Both of my rear brakes keep self adjusting to the loosest setting after about 150 miles.....it's doing my head in having to keep adjusting them! My bus is a 68.

Is it new backing plates? If so where does them?

If not....

Then any help much appreciated, Ta

Fraggle

Dooder, is it both sides? very strange for them to go at the same time???

I would put on new cylinders (they aint that much) and im sure it will be happy days :mrgreen:

Cheers for the replies folks and here's what I have done so far...

New wheel cyllinders and tried some beetle adjuster springs to no avail.

I've even wiped out most of the copper grease on the adjusters so they stick a bit more but that doesn't work either.

They need something to stop the adjuster stars from spinning but what???????????

ground hugger said:
You want Number 11 on the drawing above

They are straight and are not long enough. I bought some from Heritage and they just snapped when I tried to bend them upwards. The ones everyone supples seem to be straight beetle ones sadly.

Are they spring steel,Just thinking you could make some if they are no longer available to buy.you could use a piece of metal banding thats used for packaging for instance

Right then....

Gave the threadlock option a try and looks like I've cracked it with any luck.

Put too much on at first and when I came to adjust them up I couldn't budge the adjusters!!! :oops:

Having whipped them out again and cleaned some of it off they are spot on i.e stiff enough not to spin unless you crank them with a large screwdriver. Before you could turn them with literally a small electrical screwdriver (well loose).

Test drove it and all seems well...spose we'll have to see when I've done some miles and / or adjustment times comes round!!

Cheers Joval for the idea :)

Latest posts