Rear striker plate mounting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniDubber

Reaction score
Just after some advice after buying a striker plate for my rear tailgate.

I bought the correct bolts to go with the striker plate but noticed the holes in the body work are much larger than the bolts and holes on the striker plate. Is this normal? When I removed the tailgate seal I noticed there is a space between the panel skins so was wondering if there is normally a nut or plate in here to screw in to?

Thanks for your help

The larger holes it the tin are there to allow movement to adjust, below that there should be a metal plate with two threaded holes for the bolts for your striker plate to attach to, this moves freely again to allow adjustment - sounds like that may be missing? I can try and send you a photo if this helps explain what i am waffling on about? OR is it the bit on the tailgate itself in which case i have misunderstood - Doh!

No that's great is confirmed my suspicions. Don't suppose you know where I can buy the treaded plate from??
Thanks

I don't I would have thought there should be someone on here that may know, failing that it would be easy enough to make one out of some flat plate and drill and tap - in the scheme of things a simple task, if no-one on here can help I can send you some dimensions if that will help?

I`ll have a look tomorrow afternoon after the mums day lunches etc, I`ve got just a little bit left of the ass end of a 72. Are you after the bit that`s staring up at you under the striker plate when the tailgate is in the up position ? I may have that if it`s what you`re after. Give me a tinkle after four tomorrow if it`s the part :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,07723 069 937 :mrgreen:

Hi Rich,,, I can`t turn that chunk of van over at the moment because it`s big, and it`s dark down the back lane so I can`t see how it`s attached. It`s all there so we can sort something out. I just need to get down there with some daylight, which is an issue this week and weekend. How desperate are you for it ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

the part sits under the actual body panel.
As i said over text unsure if this is the same on early and late? as i know the striker plates are different

Im not to desperate its just my tailgate is locked with string at the mo lol.

thanks bud

That donor is actually a 72 so may be your lucky day :p :p
Is it a separate part, or is it spot welded, or can you get to it from the other side? I won`t know until I can turn that big chunk over. The `chunk ' is the ass end up to the other side of the panel that slopes down to the load area floor, so quite big, and that bit is one that isn`t rusted to bits, so lucky lucky lucky all round :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, How quick do you need it ? :mrgreen:

Off up to the pub now, will check this out when I get home. Maybe won`t be in a fit state to reply though :p :p :p :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Now there`s a surprise :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

haha lucky guy.
As far as i can grasp I think it is a separate bit...
If you where to remove the seal from just under the striker plate there should be a gap between the skins of body panel, or at least mine has. I think if you where to unscrew the striker plate this plate in the gap should be able to come out? I would think rather fiddly, but not so much with your cut panel.

thanks

Hi Rich, I`ve cut that section out and you may be right about it being tricky. I`ll send the whole chunk which is about 150mm or 6" to us old guys. PM me your address. It`s a hollow section as presumed. Inside that section is the threaded plate which is held in place by a plate carrier that is spotwelded to the inside of the section. This carrier is what`s going to be the fly in the ointment as it virtually blocks you getting the plate back in :roll: I`m wondering if that threaded plate is actually rolling about inside the hollow squareish section somewhere. If you have the carrier still attached, then I doubt if you`ll find the threaded plate. If you look at the section, you`ll see where I`ve rubbed the paint of the pair of spotwelds on each sides, this is the side of the section that faces the motor. I`ll tell you more shortly.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Sorry about that,, too many things on the go at once ;)
There are two large dimples that look like locators with a pair of spotwelds on each side of these locator lugs, if you drill these out on the piece I`ve sent, you`ll know whether the carrier will drop or if there are a couple more by where you want the screws to locate, it looks like there might be. Once you`ve lost the carrier and shoved it down the other end, you should be easily able to get a draw wire through from one of the large screw holes to an opening in the rear of the section and pull the threaded plate into position. I think I`d use a much longer screw or bolt to hold it in position (with no head on) then slot the plate over it and use the proper screw in the other hole, then replace the bolt / screw with the proper one. No probs unless you take both screws out in the future. :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Easy innit :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Thanks for sending that mate,,, yer string still looking easier lol
cant get the bloody thing out with the tools I have in me flat so think ill have to take it to me mums to get it sorted...

send me you paypal via pm and ill send u some cash,, unless you going to BusTypes ill come over and see you

MiniDubber said:
Thanks for sending that mate,,, yer string still looking easier lol
cant get the bloody thing out with the tools I have in me flat so think ill have to take it to me mums to get it sorted...

send me you paypal via pm and ill send u some cash,, unless you going to BusTypes ill come over and see you

Don`t worry about that too much, you are sure to bump into me somewhere. You can see now, why I didn`t take it out because all the describing in the world wouldn`t help without seeing it in the flesh. I don`t think you need the plate carrier so long as you remember it`s not attatched you should be all right. I`d lose the carrier which may allready be done on yours and pull the threaded plate through the oval slot in the rear of the section and the job`s a goodun. You could maybe just butcher it out of the bit I sent with a chisel or decent screwdriver smacked in between the two bits to break the spotwelds, you can see where they are because I rubbed the paint down a bit. Oh !!!!! I think it only goes in one way, so I`d take a pic before you destroy it as it looks one sided sort of from front to back, and if it goes in backwards :? :shock: :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck bud :mrgreen:

haha thanks,,

yer I have been using screwdriver and a big hammer lol but live in a flat so will have to wait till i can get to me mums to do it lol,,,, much easier to get it out/put it in my acctual van as the earlys must be different theres a nice little gap to put it in lol

Latest posts