Rear wheel castle nut and flywheel torque convertor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low n slow

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to probably need new wheel bearings on the rear next year and I've seen a device that bolts onto the drum and makes undoing the castle nut easy peasey without a 20 ft breaker bar and Arnie to help you. It can also be used for the flywheel nut too, apparently. It was on an American video (ain't they all) and I've searched but cannot find one. Where can I get such a beast? Thanks all in advance. :)

search torque multiplyer, but they arent all that tight, ive never needed a 10ft bar, just used a breaker bar and dont force it, lube the big nut on the hu and wire brush the threads, a flywheel locking tool is very handy

https://www.justkampers.com/00-5749-0-empi-axle-nut-removal-tool-46mm.html

This is what I used for the hub nuts after trying a huge breaker bar and failing. Once it moved a fraction that was it - it was easy after that. [emoji851]

I use a 46mm flogging spanner to undo them and a 3/4” torque wrench to tighten them. Even if you got a flogging spanner to undo & nip them up I’m sure if you asked a local truck garage nicely they’ll torque it up for you.

radish said:
Low n slow said:
Thanks found the exact one. https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/product/AC000133/

unfortunately this won't work on your hub nuts as the it is 36mm.

Thanks, I really should read things properly, it's for beetle and splitscreen using a 36 nut. Well done you saved me over £100 :lol:

I’ve got a cheapso one inch drive socket set for about twenty five quid. It’s proper junkie but I doubt if I’ll ever break any of it because it’s big old stuff. Thirty mill socket up to fifty mill socket from memory, add a scaffold tube and there ain’t much that won’t come undone. Nice sockets and bar for doing up.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,best not to undo with a torque wrench though peeps. :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
I’ve got a cheapso one inch drive socket set for about twenty five quid. It’s proper junkie but I doubt if I’ll ever break any of it because it’s big old stuff. Thirty mill socket up to fifty mill socket from memory, add a scaffold tube and there ain’t much that won’t come undone. Nice sockets and bar for doing up.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,best not to undo with a torque wrench though peeps. :mrgreen:

Yes indeed. I used to make all sorts of torque wrenches at Norbar and the worst thing you can do to one is to undo nuts. Puts the calibration right out using it in reverse. We used to have many many repairs back mainly from tyre companies who couldn't understand why their tool has broken/gone out of calibration/giving wrong readings.

3/4 breaker bar and 46mm socket worked for us, don't have the bay now so open to offers if of any use

Latest posts