Red 9 kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decapman

Reaction score
A mate fitted the red 9 coil over lowering kit to the front of my bay.
I am not happy with the ride, its a bit choppy. We only went for a modest drop, 2 to 3 inches.
It seems to me its over sprung and under damped.
The bus has stiffer anti roll bars fitted front and rear too
The rear is now a bit higher, previous to dropping the front the bus was a bit nose in the air so I need to lower the rear an inch or two.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Alternatively any suspension experts within strilking distance of Tunbridge Wells who could sort it out?

I want a modest drop with a decent ride.

Marcus

I've not got any experience of the red9 kit but i know a lot on here are in the process of fitting it so hopefully someone will be along soon but the dampers can also be adjusted.
When your happy with your ride height adjust the dampers to give you the effect your after

Hi

Have you replaced the torsion springs with the red9 tiebars?

If so, have you adjusted the damping to your own tastes?

There is a huge range of dampening on the shocks, it ranges from pretty harsh to very soft.

Along with what Ant has just said, have you spoken to Simon at Red9? He will be able to give you a good judgement of what the issue is and what settings are best to try..

He has been excellent so far for all the questions Ive had, responding in under a few hours in most cases 8)

28 point damping adjustment, have you been through these?

Joval said:
28 point damping adjustment, have you been through these?

whs. when i first got mine the ride was like being at sea!! adjusted the damping on the coil overs. rides real nice now :party0009:

Thanks for responses guys
I feel a lot bettrer now I know it can be adjusted, sorry if I sound numpty, mechanicals really not my thing!
M.

decapman said:
Thanks for responses guys
I feel a lot bettrer now I know it can be adjusted, sorry if I sound numpty, mechanicals really not my thing!
M.

The adjustment is made with a flat head screwdriver at the base of the coilover, in the circle just under the large threaded section.

30082008717.jpg

Marcus, I have just had a play about with mine; it was a little bouncy so I needed to set it properly
and avoid another trip to A&E (long story, I won't bore me with the details).

Fully clockwise on the little screw is the softest setting and no good; you're on the springs with little
or no damping. I then turned it out a full turn and a click or two more and it transformed the ride
and handling - I aim for potholes now just for kicks instead of weaving around them.
I will also try it on the highest damping setting tomorrow, just to see how that feels.

Give it a go, my van went from sponge to basketball with nothing more than a screwdriver and soggy jeans. ;)

Latest posts