Refit woes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginga

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
ex westy
OK I have had my bus resprayed and the body shop are struggling with the window rubbers, got them from schofields so hoping they are decent quality. They have struggled all day to try to fit the rear side window but seem to get to the point of it fitting and it just won't quite fit. Any particular tips? I've read about talc, warming etc but anyone who has fitted new rubbers I'd appreciate a bit of advise as I am on a tight time scale.

second thing is that I bought a 2nd hand sliding door but the lock mechanism doesn't seem to fit, the old and new are both early doors but my lock mechanism seems to sit proud stopping the outer handle fitting properly and the door shutting, what is the difference between an pre 71 door and post 71 door?

proper frustrated at mo as I've just missed my trip to see ac/dc in Paris in the van, that driving there in the van not ac/dc appearing in my van...

The side window rubbers are an absolute pain in the bottom, but the window fitter who did my one bathed the thing WD40, lots of people will say that the WD will eat the rubber this may be the case but to day (3years) I haven't had any issues.

did my windows the other day. I used washing up liquid and no water. One person inside the van with the string and two outside putting pressure on the window no jerking movement just steady pressure. The rear of the four went in easy its the sliding door and the opposite ones that took an extra bloke to put the pressure on as they were initially an inch out on the bottom whilst the top of the seal was in. one on each corner and one in the middle, steady pressure and a set of cahoonas o, and a lot of lub. :shock: My'n are scofield rubbers they are heavy duty i found once you have one under your belt the rest go in ok.

Although washing up liquid works as a lubricant its a bad idea because it encourages rust where it is trapped under the rubber.

Wd40 works and won't affect the rubber.

I prefer to use waxoil which lubricates, makes the rubber a little more supple and discourages corrosion.

The side windows are not hard to fit - much easier than the windscreen. Use the string method - but you do need a helper to hold the window against the bus from the outside.

I can confirm that washing up liquid will cause rust and it does not take long I found out the hard way but just in time

madjack said:
I can confirm that washing up liquid will cause rust and it does not take long I found out the hard way but just in time

Yes, washing up liquid is salt based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i found waxoil the answer ..

Plenty of it in the seal .. 2 men at least and a bit of bravado ..

Like the guys say ..first ones the worse then you get a feel for it ..

I found the sliding door the worse one to do ( the 3/4 glass)

Bloody hell, i wish i had looked up salt content before i had done this. Doing windscreen this afternoon bought wax oil. Will chance it with the remainder dont want to take them out again. I concur sliding door was a bugger as there is more give there tends to spring a bit. Another tip would be good string so it doesnt snap.

When we did the seals on my mates beetle we used washing line cord and that worked a treat (good and strong, and has a smooth finish/surface).

Tent guide rope is great .. Won't snap and nice and thin ..

Don't forget to not just pull the string .. Pull it tight and move hand a circular motion..

Stops the seals getting damaged

Hilly

Well I took it to Volkshaus near Kenilworth and thank whoever I did, brilliant lads - they use waxoyl but apparently it also helps if your new front panel has been fitted rather better than mine has.....

Anyway on a different note they went through my bus and sorted all the bits I didn't have time to/forgot about and got me an MOT on Tuesday. I then set off at 5pm to deliver my bus to Sardinia by this morning which I did and the bus never missed a beat 1200 miles in 2 days at no more than 60mph. Just flown back from there with the bus still running as sweet as it did the whole trip.

cheers Volkshaus.

Good to hear you got such good service :)

Any particular reason you left your bus in Sardinia? :lol:

I have taken it out there to use for a friends wedding in July - she is Sardinian and asked if she could use it for the wedding car I said yes as it means I can now drive it back via the Alps and Northern Italy as well as see some of Sardinia in the summer. My idea was to split the travel costs over May and August so hopefully making it more affordable, however I reckoned without windscreens,late bodyshop activity and missing some ferries because of it.

Anyway hopefully an interesting (in the right way) return trip to look forward to, the trip out whilst long was good and the sun shone all the way.

As an aside anyone need any panels that I have for sale please check my ad in parts as I now need to recoup some costs :)

Yes that sounds like a great idea for a trip. I haven't been to Sardinia but from what photos I have seen it looks very nice.

I had great debate on this with my mate who's alway blooming right :x when fitting the windscreen, he put wash-up liquid
around the opening, i was not happy at all. However the windscreen was coming out soon for the respray so i thought lets see what happens :evil: 4 weeks later the blooming rust made a guest appearance on my new panel, shocking the van at no point had been outside :shock:

No more rust :whip:

:sign0023:

Geo

I know we are off subject here sorry mods but Sardinia is amazing (went a good few years ago and hired a car), quite unspoiled and some superb little coves and inlets. Not many camp sites but I think you can get away with rough camping a bit. My friends father is a retired helicopter fire fighter so knows the place inside out. I'll perhaps post on the camping section on my return.

In terms of window fitting Schofields suggested Mr Sheen but it contains silicon so should go nowhere near a body shop.

cheers

Latest posts