Rememberance Day

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattie

Reaction score
IMG_20131109_192618.jpg

The amount of people not wearing a poppy grows every year. It is a personal choice I know, but service personnel die and get maimed to give us that choice. Yesterday I was at a cenotaph right next to a tennis court, the four people playing tennis didn't even bother stopping for the 2 minute silence. Again choice which has been fought for. The money for poppies does much good. It gives employment and funds many good causes for ex and injured service personnel.

I feel strongly about this as I served 26 years in the army and my son and daughter are both in the Royal Navy and I know that although it was Remembrance Sunday and not a Armistice a Day so some would say why bother doing it twice but 4 minutes over 2 days s nothing

thejinx said:
The amount of people not wearing a poppy grows every year. It is a personal choice I know, but service personnel die and get maimed to give us that choice. Yesterday I was at a cenotaph right next to a tennis court, the four people playing tennis didn't even bother stopping for the 2 minute silence. Again choice which has been fought for. The money for poppies does much good. It gives employment and funds many good causes for ex and injured service personnel.

I feel strongly about this as I served 26 years in the army and my son and daughter are both in the Royal Navy and I know that although it was Remembrance Sunday and not a Armistice a Day so some would say why bother doing it twice but 4 minutes over 2 days s nothing

It's an interesting debating point, I didn't manage to get a poppy this year. My wife, 4yr old boy and I always try to get to Remembrance service in the village church, as we did yesterday, neither did I feel the need to wear my one medal, mainly because I don't wear a suit to church on other Sunday's and rightly or wrongly people seem to expect you to put your suit on to wear medals. This doesn't mean I remember the sacrifice of those who lost their lives and the impact on their loved ones any less and every year I always do my donation to the RBL online. I've been out of the RN for 20-yrs. That said if I had been playing tennis next to where people were obviously involved in an act of Remembrance then at the right moment I would have stopped.

My family and I always try to buy poppys from veteran's.

My brother was an ex soldier in 3 RGJ and at the age of 43 was Murdered in a stupid bar fight over of all things a military T shirt....

He had a family but they didn't have much for the funeral costs when the British Legion found out they took care of almost all the bills.
He had been out 10 years but they said once a soldier always a soldier.

Just two minutes of your life is not a lot to ask for....
Whether you buy a poppy or not.....

I've always felt very strongly about this, these people gave their lives so that we are able to live in the world we have today, I know it's not perfect and conflicts continue but it's so important to remember and learn from history that war is a bad thing.

I play in a brass band and have done for many years and as such have attended a cenotaph service for over 25 years, and my feeling is that over the last 5 years the numbers at cenotaphs have grown as Afganistan seems to have made remembrance morerelevant to a lot of people, and the wider public.

We shall remember them.

Another show season is sadly coming to an end. I didn't get to many shows at all this year. Was a little dissapointed on the whole, but still enjoyed some of the smaller and Euro shows.

Latest posts