Remote oil filter (and oil cooler)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piggy

Reaction score
Hi All
Planning the rebuild of the original engine for our van, a SP single relief, 1600 but want to change to have a remote oil filter (and cooler) for engine longevity.

Was jus wondering if anyone had done this and what kit you had used and whether you'd drilled and tapped into the block or if you'd used one of the "screw in" SSP kits like this

http://www.machine7.com/section.php?xSec=2574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any thoughts on what you have done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

If you are rebuilding it as a 1600 again then there is no need for a remote cooler in fact you might end up with to much cooling and therefore cause more damage. I would consider full flowing it to add better filtration but still not really needed for a stock build.

Hi sjc,
Sorry I updated the title but it didn't update in post.

The engine will probably end up being a standard 1584, maybe a 1641, just balanced and gas flowed to optimise the 49bhp!!

I want to try and improve air flow to cylinder 3 by having an external oil cooler.

External oil filter is a MUST to improve engine longevity. The engine in it at the moment was a very well maintained Remtec recon unit that suddenly failed catastrophically after only 17,000 miles (not impressed at all).

Have you fitted an external oil filter?

Cheers,
James

I have an external filter and a thermostatic controlled cooler but I also have a high compression 2110 to cool so the extra cooler is needed.

Resto raider,
On a pre '70 engine as mine is the OEM oil cooler sits in the air path of cylinder 3, so the cylinder and thus the exhaust valve heats quicker, gets hotter than on the other cylinders, and is the first to stretch or burn out.

An external or doghouse cooler fixes this, however I don't want to change my tinwear so an external oil cooler may be my only choice.

Priority is remote oil filter though..... Anyone done it or got any pics??

convert to doghouse like has been said already on here.

if you use your best typing finger and do some searchs, you will see that there are many of us here running 2 litre plus engines on stock coolers without issue.

keep your money in your pocket.

six said:
convert to doghouse like has been said already on here.

if you use your best typing finger and do some searchs, you will see that there are many of us here running 2 litre plus engines on stock coolers without issue.

keep your money in your pocket.

This.
I am running an external cooler as well because i tried it with out first and it couldn't cope. If you insist on an external cooler it really should be with a thermostat as over cooling also causes excessive wear.

Thanks for the pointers people - I will have a search.

Regards tapping the engine, it will be in bits anyway due to it needing a full rebuild. I will still need to tap the block for an external oil filter anyway, unless I use a CSP (link above) take off at the oil pressure valve.

Anyone tried one of these instead of a doghouse oil cooler conversion to a SP???

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Oil-Bypass-adapter-elminates-stock-oil-cooler-AC1159203_act_shop.product_pID_95891_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=7&crumbStartRow=116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just to clarify, are you planning on removing the in house oil cooler altogether and just running an external oil cooler ?

piggy said:
Anyone tried one of these instead of a doghouse oil cooler conversion to a SP???

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Oil-Bypass-adapter-elminates-stock-oil-cooler-AC1159203_act_shop.product_pID_95891_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=7&crumbStartRow=116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those are more for people with porsche fan conversion that cannot run the stock oil cooler.

Hi AxlFoley,
At the moment I am weighing up whether to remove the standard oil cooler and replace with an external or to go to a doghouse. As I don't want to butcher my tinware I am thinking when I build the engine I will remove the standard oil cooler (blanking it off) and replace with an external oil cooler - hence use one of the adaptors I attached above...

Alex,
Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers
James

If you are removing the stock cooler replace it with the doghouse version. There is no logical reason to get rid of the stock/doghouse set up unless you can't fit it ie Porsche fan shroud. If you want to add an external cooler with a thermostat the full flow is the answer.

If I go doghouse oil cooler I will have to cut holes in my tinware though. I wanted to try and avoid this...

If the engine is in pieces, then drilling and tapping for an external filter is an excellent idea. Costs very little and the stock factory 'filter' is little more than a sieve and pretty much useless.

But I also heartily agree with everyone here recommending the doghouse cooler set up.
I've got a couple friends who run an external cooler and no (factory style) cooler inside the shroud but they all use proper, high quality (read: expensive) coolers with a proper fan set up, not the shrink wrapped ones you see hung up at the back of stalls at shows. They're also on hipo beetles not a big heavy bay likely to be laden up. For what you need, a doghouse is cheaper and better 8)

Latest posts