Removing a steering box, how hard can it be?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SF Bay

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need to remove my steering box from my 68 to get it refurbed, how difficult a task is it? Is it a 5 minute job wth a couple of spanners or is there more to it than that?

Any tips/pearls of wisdom would be most welcome.

Cheers
:wink:

very easy job,about an hour to swop one

worth having a cheep puller/spliter to pull the arm of,especialy if you dont want to knacker the worm on the one your tacking of

, then 2or 3X 17mm for the box itself and then the arm is a 17mm or a 19mm

something like that anyway.....its been a while

Hmm from memory early boxes (worm type) can be removed without pulling the arm off (or is it the later ones - bugger I can't remeber now :roll: )

Anyhow the arms can be a sod to remove. I had to use a hydraulic puller and when it came off I thougght I'd been shot - such was the associated 'crack'.

Good luck & try with the arm still on it will be obvious if you can weave it through the hole in the chassis or not.

Cheers

James

I found this a bugger of a job, due to the arm being stuck fast :cry:

I ended up cutting it off.....I had a spare arm though. Wouldn't recommend this.

Hydraulic puller would make it a doddle.

Thanks guys, you are echoing what I have already heard. Hydralic pullers, what do they look like? Does anyone have a link? Can they be hired?

Cheers
Ian

a normall puller should do the job and there inexspesive and worth having for other jobs aswell.

This was a bitch of a job on mine after braking a normal sized ball joint spliter i got hold of a lorry version the biggest i have ever seen after alot of tension on the bolt it went with a large bang.Might make it easer if you apply heat but this will damage the seals in the box .Just keep out of the way and it will come off
Cheers

Latest posts