Replacement Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://fbcdn-vthumb-a.akamaihd.net/hvthumb-ak-xpa1/v/t15.0-10/s480x480/10502746_10204749339957192_10204749326276850_28858_1856_b.jpg?oh=e22d91a9b7d7110f9c12ba983151874b&oe=5493F528&__gda__=1422403254_fa2f21227de501359b929e82e1892e6e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204749326276850&set=vb.1348062350&type=2&theater#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

right got there, I had a container pressing on accelerator pedal so that is why she is turning over slightly faster than idle, will post me driving round the block if that is helpful too.

So any thoughts?

cheers all!!

When I click on the first link I just get a picture; the second gives an error message:

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

It is because we don't have permission to view the link. I have to say that reading through this thread I am suspicious that this is a wind up. The guys on here are asking reasonable questions but your vague answers really don't help, I mean even the grade of oil is a simple case of looking at the oil container you used and telling us.
If it is genuine, then your level of comprehension is very low so I would recommend a recon 1600 and get it serviced at a good garage every 1000 miles until you learn the basics of air-cooled ownership.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

[photobucket][/photobuck et]

no wind up been using vws for yrs sure new to this though on air cooled. polos and mk1/2 golfs

That sounds a bit "tappy" to me to be a big end, more like a broken piston ring or a little end (gudgeon pin end). A big end is more of a knock.
I'd do a compression check to see if a piston is reading low (broken ring) or at least pull the plugs to see if one is oily. And if you can, get under the bus and with a screwdriver pressed to your ear (like 2 of us mentioned previously) touch it onto the body of the head, maybe near the exhaust pipe, and see if the tap is louder for one piston over the others. A top end refresh is so much easier to address than a full stripdown as piston and barrel sets come in at very affordable prices compared to a recon lump and you might just get away with a set of rings. Do some checks and let us know what you find...

Taken out the nr side sparkplugs and they look fine, the off side can wait access looks more awkward.

Going to book her into Beetlewerks in Worthing/Littlehampton.

Well vw ginger waterlooville had a look at it today, needs a strip down and a rebuild or a new engine, bottom pulley wheel has too much play. So rebuilt with some guarantees or new. What have people done.

Life is crap sometimes, part of me wants to go new one coz 18 months down the line with another 4500 miles driven I don't want to be sorting out engines again, sure there will be something else there always is but it would be nice to not worry about the basics.

Latest posts