Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit more done. Replacing a Bay tub with a Split tub is slightly more difficult than it looks! I sound surprised!

The Bay tub slopes down towards the outer panel whereas the Split one doesn't so chop this bit out (this was easy as some muppet had bodged a lump of filler and metal over a previous rust repair!

46mVW.jpg

The profile of the inner side panel bracing to tub needs reworking, so unpicked the filler strip and cut a piece out. This will need replacing in the Split profile

gOIkC.jpg

The Engine Bay bulkhead piece is also the wrong profile. Some of this is down to previous accident damage, but the slope to the outer panel needed removing. I've roughly chopped this out so I can see what needs to be replaced and with what shape.

Z8hEG.jpg

So had a little clean up with battery tools this morning until I could make some noise.

XGYuC.jpg

Cut and shaped

k6bHZ.jpg

Tacked in, remove tub

aJKpo.jpg

Weld up and grind back

dx5Fr.jpg

Not sure if this is a good angle, but the middle of the tub is pushed out by 3-4mm, not a lot, but when the replacement arch panel is offered up it is very noticeable. A definite bulge in the arch!

FiHOJ.jpg

Looks like the pressing just about the centre of this picture is slightly out! The folds at the front and back are crisp clean 90 bends, but the middle isn't as cleanly folded. This coupled with the previous damage is casuing a problem. Looks like the disc cutter is coming out and a little reprofiling needed!

AhMW3.jpg

The tub meets the edge of the battery tray millimetre perfect so I'll need to be careful when re shaping it!

ZzclI.jpg

Once the tub is narrowed in the middle I'm guessing that it won't meet the original bay inner profile so that may need to be changed too!

qaN8W.jpg

Guess that's it for another day :)

Cheers Bud :) well chuffed with how it's starting to come together, just taking more time than I anticipated getting this tub in! At least I'll know when I get to the other side! :)

Digging your metal work skills !!!

Nick I just read through your To Do List just a couple of bits.... but it could be worse you could be paying someone else to do all that :lol:

It's going to be a really nice solid bus :D

Cheers Bud :) The list is gradually diminishing! At the moment I wouldn't want to pay someone, I'm having having fun, but enthusiasm is high at the moment....... :)

That's some work you're doing there sir. Very nice. The pic of the sill end on page 7 gives me some idea, so hopefully I can plod on.
Cheers fella.

Lol, perfection it ain't, but the best I can do :) do it once and do it right!

Edit: or do it again until it's right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I have a new deadline, and this one is a proper one! My Daughter thinks she wants to go to her prom next year in Mollie! so I guess that's a proper deadline :msn4:

Note to self, pick up more cutting discs, get more gas, pickup pro plus from chemist.........

Cheers for the comments guys, nothing much been done since November what with work, risk of redundancy, getting (keeping) a job, teenage kids etc! Hoping to get a good couple of days on her over this weekend! :)

Latest posts