Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of an update

Doing the rear tub I noticed the bumpstop hanger looked suspect so chopped it off
g9zOc.jpg

Cut it out
JMlYD.jpg

Cut an off cut to size
ZcSpg.jpg

Tacked in
cxN5C.jpg

Seam welded in
Y3eXu.jpg

Ground back
Ujt38.jpg

Spent a little time building this bad boy up. All seems to be where it should but need to get Ted at Slamwerks to mod the lower trailing arms. So will be stripping it back, cleaning up, painting bits and then back together again :)
bKYB1.jpg

Surprising how quick flash rust forms using air tools. Have an air filter but still get moisture out of the tools and this is what happens! Using electric tools for cleaning back and then getting etch on quick to try and reduce this!!
v7S4D.jpg

So it's fully welded in, took a while, and not the easiest of jobs, but hopefully the other side will be quicker now I know what I'm doing :)
y3iPI.jpg

Starting to come together now. Got the Autocraft arch panel clamped in place and checking for fit
Ni9dO.jpg

Cleaned up behind bracing and good coat of zinc primer to protect
MROZW.jpg

Seems to fit OK, bit of fettling needed as the original panel was so knocked about it's stretched and warped!
NMgyz.jpg

Cut to size
13Inp.jpg

Tacked in
VZDJI.jpg

Welded in
1BikN.jpg

Cleaning up and etching around repair to protect whilst cleaning welds up
AlqjS.jpg

o6vI7.jpg

Front edge welded in
4Nvko.jpg

Cleaned up and sealed
Pscq6.jpg

Taking shape :) need to clean up a bit!!
stBly.jpg

Started the window repair on the same panel!
kHnMz.jpg

Rotten all the way along!
frbxT.jpg

Not sure how I'm going to sort this bit! maybe spot blast it and lead load it?
fkSNQ.jpg

Spot welded
Ouo8n.jpg

Meanwhile James is cleaning up underneath, finishing a few welds off and giving a coat of Rust FormulaX and then a couple of coats of Rust Bullet :)
aLWRd.jpg

qK1nY.jpg

FaywM.jpg

Looks awesome, well chuffed :) Cheers Bud, appreciate the help :)

Meanwhile had a bit of shrinkage on the arch panel, so cut and re welded, still not 100% happy, but I'll live with it for the moment!
9ZYzs.jpg

Where's Grazy?
oYIU1.jpg

So now the underneath is finished, time to check the fit of the floor. Genuine panels from Schofields with the RHD conversion plate :)
0ESoI.jpg

Looks good but the later floor panels don't fit the same as the early ones, and as the return lip on the rear bulkhead is a bit suspect, I bent a return in the end of the floor plates upwards at 90 degrees and will lap weld the rear of the floor to the rear bulkhead panel. Will be just as strong and hopefully remove a rust trap too!

Just like this
I2ZFV.jpg

First job to prep the underside once the rear edge is folded so I'll pass over to my assistant Grazy :)
6VJ0K.jpg

And then panel wiped. cleaned and some RustBullet going on :)
8s9QZ.jpg

Back inside, started thinking this needs some attention pretty soon!
LMxrS.jpg

and back outside Grazy going for the second coat :)
0jW5P.jpg

And that's kind of where we're at :) Hoping to get the small bits in the floor area done today and then get the floor plates spot welded in!

OLIVE-BAY said:
Nick-Rackham said:
Cheers :) Want to get the complete back end done up to B posts by Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend :) and then the fun starts on the front end!!

good luck seems achievable by your recent work rate, front end...my experience is easier ;)

Can't be any slower to do!! ;)

A very very sad day! My Daughter decided that my "Garage Hoodie" was destined for the bin so she's taken a picture of it and it's now been dumped! My favourite Hoodie, purchased from GAP in January 2003 has served me well :cry:
LZoQV.jpg

So, once a new, i.e. the next oldest Hoodie was found, it was time to crack on! not many pics, but this has taken nearly all day!!

Cleaned back the contact points on the underside of the floor, cleaned up the top hats and I Beams, plenty of weld through primer and then got the off side half in
AfctR.jpg

NzKWD.jpg

and then managed to fettle the near side half ready to get welded in one evening this week :)
g5x6L.jpg

Hoping floor will be in, welds ground back and all cleaned up before next weekend!

A sad sad day for your hoodie bud !! , it did have more holes than a cheese grater !!

Hope you get the floor in , and welds ground down before next saturday as ill be along with me paintbrush at somepoint

Good work fella :D

i actually nearly took a big swig out of that cup of anti rust paint as i also had a mug of tea on the floor !! :shock:

Grazy said:
i actually nearly took a big swig out of that cup of anti rust paint as i also had a mug of tea on the floor !! :shock:

Could have been the 1st EarlyBay Death by missadventure :lol:

Wasn't it about a year ago we were discussing fitting this floor? Pull your finger out! :lol:

sparkywig said:
Nick-Rackham said:
Not sure how I'm going to sort this bit! maybe spot blast it and lead load it?

uF7KT.jpg

Hello Nick, good progress. :)
JK do a repair panel that fits nice and is a decent piece of metal.

2hqlG.jpg
cheers Wig :) I'll have a look see on the site tomorrow! Will save a bit of faffing about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome Nick. I'm still in awe!

I meant to ask Grazy (at the Suffolk Bugrs meet on Sunday) if he knew how you were doing, but forgot! Looks like LOADS of progress.

Nick

Cheers Nick :)

Ordered the repair panel from JK (Cheers SparkyWig :) ) Hopefully they'll arrive this week. Got to get out and get that floor finished off so Grazy can bring his brushes over!! ;)

Cheers Kev :)

New toy arrived :) well, old toy but new to me
LsU2q.jpg

Had to give it a go!
DmSC9.jpg

Awesome, pulled a deep point of shrinkage out really quick :) anyway, window repair panels from JK being delivered today so hopefully I can crack on with that now too :)

Latest posts