Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started fitting the JK window repair panel and cut to size
9t0xa.jpg

looks like the profile is slightly out
NYurV.jpg

tacked the ends and spot welded the seam
kWhsb.jpg

bit of adjustment
whPZ9.jpg

and welded in
qAfz4.jpg

just need to clean up welds and clean up!

Can you confirm if the profile of yours was slightly deeper than original? I think there's a pic of mine 2 or 3 posts up! Cheers, Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, i didn't see mine side by side with the original. I thought it was the same as yours though and slightly deeper.

Cheers :) I've got my door all striped so can check but have offered up the runner bit and it drops in ok so hopefully once I've got the door sorted it'll still fit??!!

Quick update for this week, hopefully more tomorrow but this is what's been done since last time.

First floor half in
LrAPZ.jpg

Second half in
hNDc8.jpg

Grinding back the welds!
2ZJjz.jpg

Bit of a weld burn!
l9uZo.jpg

Still grinding back welds but noise curfew now so that's it for today!

Thought for a minute that JK had made a panel/part worth having :shock: but the equalibrium was quickly restored :lol:

Cracking job you're doing there too :)

Been toying with getting a stud welder and puller myself, would you recommend it?

:)

Cheers Ady :) Panel not too bad, required more than a little re profiling! Fits OK now and pleased with the result!

Stud welder is (apart from spot welder) best toy I've bought recently :) Awesome, just put the pin in, press trigger 2 seconds, fit slide hammer and bang :) just like that!! Definitely worth getting one if you've more than a few small dents to pull, saves loads of time

I used to have a spot welder, and agree they're worth their weight in gold, I need to get a replacement!!

:)

You remind me of markp off SSVC. Fantastic job. :D

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=77632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Respect to you guys who can fabricate & weld!! :worship:
Im good with wood!!!!! :lol:

Cheers dude :) I'll have to go check out markp's work over on ssvc. Have to say it was moler and a couple of guys here and on vzi that inspired me to have a go myself! There's a lot of guys and girls on here doing some awesome work in pretty crap conditions!! Respect to you all :)

Top draw on your work so far, I'm using your pic's as reference points to inspire me (ie: rear section of front wheel arch, B-post etc). Thanks for posting great pic's :)

Caboose said:
Top draw on your work so far, I'm using your pic's as reference points to inspire me (ie: rear section of front wheel arch, B-post etc). Thanks for posting great pic's :)

No worries fella :) It's good to be able to see how things went together originally so you can take it apart and replace it as it should be, not only makes it "factory looking!" but is obviously the best way to put it right :) Hopefully by the end of June will have all welding from B post backwards completed! Then the fun begins on the front :)

Update for today! Slow start as house work was required! must get some help!!

As the bottom rear of the offside panel was knackered, cut it out so I could get the outer sill lined up!
0397.jpg

Spot welded it from the inside as I haven't yet added the filler plate to convert from LHD floor to RHD.

Spot welded the lower edge
0398.jpg

Seems a long while back that I started to replace the outer half of the OS rear tub, so now I'm looking at ripping the whole thing out and putting a proper tub in
0399.jpg

C Post is knackered so started to make up the repair pieces needed for this. Didn't get round to firing up the welder today, sore eyes from yesterday!
0400.jpg

And lastly, started to cut and fit the OS rear arch. I love these Autocraft panels, so much better than the cheapy repros!
0401.jpg

May get some more done during the week with a bit of luck!

Cheers for all the comments guys, keeps the motivation levels up! ;)

Noticed you checked out marks thread on ssvc!!!!!
good innit??!! 8)
We popped round to see him & Gerry as he gave my dad a few bits for his van, top guy and super helpful.
like I said before, big respect to you guys. :D

Paul.

Cheers Paul :)

Yep, checked out and commented on Marks thread. Got a bit nervous when I saw large amounts of metal getting removed and surprised they're strong enough to stay straight!

Nick

Latest posts