Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Bud :) It's that, when will I get to see some real progress feeling??? Anyway, a little setback tonight, was home too late to make any noise so fed up with underseal scrapimg by hand I decided to mix up some marine clean in a tub and clean up some of the rear hub bits that are really mucky! I'd put gloves on but didn't notice a rip on the left one! needless to say that after 30 minutes or so scrubbing parts my left hand felt a little hot!!! an hour later scrubbing hands with every soap product I have left me with a completely burnt left hand, all the way up to my wrist!!

So, a word of advice to anyone reading, please take care with this stuff!! I'm now sitting here feeling like a complete twat with one hand smothered in vaseline and in a poly bag!!! :oops:

DOH :character0074:

That kind of thing happens to the best of us :msn4:

Oh no Nick - but as gninnam says, happens to us all (can of carb cleaner, no goggles, blind hole in the carb, hefty squirt, 2 hours in casualty....).

I must pop round to see progress sometime...

Cheers,
Nick

Well under any other circumstances, wrapped up and smothered in vaseline would be a good result ;-)

Got the kids at the mo, but, yeah, got you number.

Hope it gets better soon
Nick

Cheers Nick, all sorted now, and full movement again so fingers crossed (No pun intended) no more little incidents! :)

So what with a knackered hand for a week, and then a knackered back too, not a lot been happening :(

Bit of an update, got the NS B Post outer done and a bit more on the closing plate
Y0UC7.jpg

Today my mate James popped by while I was looking at the NS middle sill and decided to restrip the rear suspension so it could be cleaned properly and while he was there
1p7FS.jpg

BdijL.jpg

Guess it's getting notched! :D

e2k46.jpg

And here he is admiring his work!
29S7k.jpg

While he was chopping chunks of the chassis out I was getting on with this again!
LxKIz.jpg

yN0AG.jpg

RdMFB.jpg

Ran out of gas, thought I might but was hoping to get through until tomorrow morning. Drilled the NS track cover guide off, hopefully to reuse part of it and use as a template for repairing the bits that are missing.
W7X3R.jpg

Got a bit of work to do on sorting the remains of this out!!

Scored a decent seat off fleabay...
hxSCr.jpg

Well you have to have somewhere to chill and have a fag and a coffee in the garage don't you? :D

So that's about it for today!

With all the bits I've started collecting, my daughter (who some of you may remember her from Ozzie's thread can be quite the woman of the house) has been nagging again (some may say rightly so!) that the house looks like a scrap car yard (I think shit hole was the exact phrase) and "Would I pull my finger out and actually do some housework and clean it up"

So I did :D

J3n4A.jpg

Hl8d6.jpg

Unfortunatley we have differing views on what cleaning it all up means! I think it's quite organised! she just rolled her eyes, stuck her hand on her hip, and in her inimitable style gave me "the look" (you all know the one I mean), turned and walked away muttering expletives under her breath :D

Happy Days :oops:

Grazy popped round today for a bit of mutual help! He needed some wiring sorted, so I put him to work scrapping underseal and shit from over the gearbox area. (thanks Dude, was a good day and much appreciated)

So while I was scratching around under his van out in the street Grazy was here :D
1fw6d.jpg

Doing a grand job judging by the state of him!
b0YdP.jpg

After I finished his bus I did a bit on mine, Grazy was still happy to be scrapping shit off from underneath so instead of giving him arc eye, or covering him with grinding dust I did the sliding door repair
ZWwLK.jpg

Looking good!
GwpRa.jpg

So all in all a good day :D Cheers bud
svbax.jpg

Must teach the lad to sweep up next time! :msn4:

Cheers Just, it's a slow thread! hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I am where I am with it and just trying to get it moving! Will be a long haul as I want it to be (not perfect or a trailer queen) but right as it should be, safe, solid and done properly! There's probably bits that could be re done with what I know now, but hey, it's mine, it's hopefully all good and OK, and I'm starting to see the end of the road, well the first part of the journey!

Nick-Rackham said:
Cheers Just, it's a slow thread! hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I am where I am with it and just trying to get it moving! Will be a long haul as I want it to be (not perfect or a trailer queen) but right as it should be, safe, solid and done properly! There's probably bits that could be re done with what I know now, but hey, it's mine, it's hopefully all good and OK, and I'm starting to see the end of the road, well the first part of the journey!

And you can sit in the knowledge you did it yourself, respect 8)

creationblue said:
Nick-Rackham said:

Agree :mrgreen:

totally agree with what you say nick.

As you get round the bus and learn more you look at the bits you started with and realise they could be done better. I didnt want a trailor queen, just a bus i had sweated over to look good. It takes time to get it right when its your own 'right'

You're doing it for the long haul not a patch up and sell job.

I lost mine recently and have now purchased a new one from the states. It wont be the bus i swore at/kicked etc for 18 months and dont think i'll ever get that type of bond with my new bus (i hope i dont have to do so much on it) but i couldnt face another UK bus 'restored' by PO's and not have a road going bus in the next few months as was the plan with mine.

Keep at it and keep updating the post, there is excellent advice in here for new people starting out. I know i used it enough :)

:D :D :D

Cheers Nugsy, was gutted for you when I saw your thread! pleased you have another one on it's way! I know what you mean, I think I nearly know (apart from the front which I haven't yet got to) every single panel join, how it goes together, how it comes apart, and now how it goes back together :) There are loads of bits that I'd redo, and if I was starting again (which I definitely would) I'd go about it completely differently. Like you I read loads of resto threads on here (and on SSVC - particularly Molers awesome thread) but it still doesn't prepare you for doing it yourself! without the knowledge that you need to gain on the way! Guess it's true, every day is a school day :) Trouble is the more I do, the more I want to do again to do it right, and the more I want to do full stop, but with 2 kids, full time job, and all of lifes other shit that gets thrown in the way I can't get on as much as I want, and that's the frustrating bit! But hey ho, tomorrow's another day.

Cheers, and thanks to all for the support, every little comment counts, I guess that unless you're doing this kind of thing on your own you don't appreciate the support you get from this!

gninnam said:
creationblue said:
Nick-Rackham said:

Agree :mrgreen:

Now I feel all warm inside :D

Latest posts