Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick, 'bout time we had an update mate. When you take on a monster like that you have to keep the updates regular other wise we'll all think you've given up and topped yourself !!
Take me hat off to you Nick, you've got your hands full but your getting well stuck in. Love the spot welder by the way. Keep it up mate and just remember - the more you put into it , the more you'll get out of it and at the end of the day you can hold your head up with the best of 'em, hang in there.

Cheers Mickey. Not much progress lately. Fannied about doing a few little bits but nothing significant! Started on a rollover rig so I can flip it but apart from measuring and cutting a few bits of box section nothing worthwhile to show. Getting a bit fed up with it to be honest. Probably due to work pattern changing and feeling knackered all the time (maybe something to do with my age!) Also been working on the bug (the other resto link in my footer) and making the front end line up, but again, hours wasted and nothing to show for it! Spent a few hours on Sunday polishing a rim. Hard going as it had been blasted but thought if I could get a polished rim hanging on the garage wall it may give a bit of motivation to actually have something to bolt it up to! Didn't realise that re furbing alloys was so fookin time consuming!

d8ABo.jpg

Not much chance of evening working on the bus now so it's weekends only which is a bit of a fucker! but I'll get there :)

You've come so far - despair happens to the best of us, but the light at the end of the tunnel is definitey there :D

The wheel has come up nice - only another 3 to do (and possibly the spare) ;)

gninnam said:
You've come so far - despair happens to the best of us, but the light at the end of the tunnel is definitey there :D

The wheel has come up nice - only another 3 to do (and possibly the spare) ;)

Cheers Andy ;) That is the spare! Had a bright idea over a beer with a mate last night that I might try to modify an old washing machine as a wheel polisher! Watch this space! :lol: Main problem I've got is getting the time (at the right time of day / night) to work without too much noise! and power / air tools after 7:30 p.m. is a no go! so the more I can do (the fannying about with little stuff) all helps, but doesn't really look like progress!

Nick-Rackham said:
Had a bright idea over a beer with a mate last night that I might try to modify an old washing machine as a wheel polisher! Watch this space! :lol:

Looking forward to see how that pans out :msn4:

Nick-Rackham said:
Main problem I've got is getting the time (at the right time of day / night) to work without too much noise! and power / air tools after 7:30 p.m. is a no go! so the more I can do (the fannying about with little stuff) all helps, but doesn't really look like progress!

Tell me about it - not touched min for months :?

Will get there though - just seeing the pictures of people using their busses spurs me on ;)

Nick, might feel like your getting nowhere at the minute but if you manage to get a roll over rig set up you'll save yourself 'kin weeks. Hindsight being a wonderful thing and all that, I would definately have splashed out for one if I'd have known what I know now !

Can't wait for the wheel polishing idea. There's a thread on here somewhere ( buggered if I can find it now) where the guy has the bus up on axle stands, runs the engine, puts it in gear and polishes part of the wheels as they go round. I grabbed some Empi wide 5's off ebay a lifetime ago in Anthracite so will be looking to polish them but as you noticed - it's a bloody long process, particularly as yours have been blasted.

Having read both your threads I reckon your the geezer who wears his red underpants on the outside of his jeans and avoids Kryptonite , you need a set of bollocks like an elephant to take that lot on !!

Having read both your threads I reckon your the geezer who wears his red underpants on the outside of his jeans and avoids Kryptonite , you need a set of bollocks like an elephant to take that lot on !!

I can second that. Having been round and seen both of these, they aren't for the faint hearted - I take my hat off to him. And he finds time to come round and help out the rest of us :)

Keep nibbling at it Nick - you'll get there and it'll all be worth it. Shame about the 7:30 curfew - I guess there's a few young families around there.

Cheers,
Nick

gninnam said:
Looking forward to see how that pans out :msn4:

:lol: Got my eye on an old one from work! getting it checked out by the sparky to make sure the motor's OK. Planning on using the drum as a fire basket, and then knock up something to fix the hub to the motor and a speed control! figured if a washing machine can take 9KG spinning at 1000 rpm then it should take an alloy if I can keep it to 200rpm? We'll see, should be a bit of fun and "quiet tinkering time" that may end up being useful time spent!

gninnam said:
Will get there though - just seeing the pictures of people using their busses spurs me on ;)

Same here. These comments (and I really appreciate them, it's the motivation that's needed) and seeing others progressing is a good kick up that backside!

Mickey Sam said:
Nick, might feel like your getting nowhere at the minute but if you manage to get a roll over rig set up you'll save yourself 'kin weeks. Hindsight being a wonderful thing and all that, I would definately have splashed out for one if I'd have known what I know now !

Seen a few on here and on SSVC and it's got to be done! trying to work in a 2.6m wide garage is frustrating at best! and I hate welding laying on my back!! always have! Got 33 metres of 60mmx50mmx3mm box off a mate plus a load of 6mm plate, set of 8 casters good up to 1200KG and a couple of plumber bearings off ebay:D so hopefully got most of what I need. Looking at something like this guys on SSVC --> http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40921&hilit=mattl Except using A frames instead of Engine Hoists! Worked out I need 2.4 metres to spin it on its side and I've got 2.6 so 8" to spare! should be enough? :roll:

Mickey Sam said:
Can't wait for the wheel polishing idea. There's a thread on here somewhere ( buggered if I can find it now) where the guy has the bus up on axle stands, runs the engine, puts it in gear and polishes part of the wheels as they go round. I grabbed some Empi wide 5's off ebay a lifetime ago in Anthracite so will be looking to polish them but as you noticed - it's a bloody long process, particularly as yours have been blasted.
There's a couple of Irish guys on Youtube polishing rims like that! no chocks on the front wheels and reving it's nads off! :D I bought that rim blind off ebay. It's a good straight rim, but the seller had obviously blasted it! taken ages just to get to the point that the pitting is nearly out! Wide 5 Empi's :D I like, can't wait to see those! maybe if the washing machine idea works out I'll make interchangable hubs to do wide 5 narrow 5 and porsche 5x130 and set up a little side line! ;)

Mickey Sam said:
:lol: No! just over enthusiastic! and always take on too much! but hey if I can get these old girls back on the road it'll be worth it :D

71Westy said:
Having been round and seen both of these, they aren't for the faint hearted - I take my hat off to him. And he finds time to come round and help out the rest of us :)

Keep nibbling at it Nick - you'll get there and it'll all be worth it. Shame about the 7:30 curfew - I guess there's a few young families around there.

Cheers,
Nick

Cheers Nick :D appreciate it :) don't forget to book yours in for your front floor repairs! ;) Yes, my mate living directly opposite has 2 little uns so it's not fair to keep them awake! He's a good mate (known him for 25 years!) and they are excellent neighbours, so no point pushing it!

P.S. bit of an update later when I've had something to eat! ;)

OK, little update with my new found enthusiasm :D cheers guys :D

Got the OS inner and middle sill together, spot welded SWEET :D
6XqxG.jpg

KWE0o.jpg

And in place. Not welded up yet as I need to clean up the ends of the I Beams first
kSxnR.jpg

Welded up the beginnings of the front frame for the rotisserie.
eohJ8.jpg

and for those who like looking at welds :D
vE19S.jpg

zHnw8.jpg

eN4Xa.jpg

and thats how it's left for tonight! all without any noise :D
jt1Vh.jpg

Hopefully another update soon ;)

It's been a while since my last confession! loads of excuses such but none that really count! :( Anyway, got a bit of a chivvy up from James this week so got back in the garage! Apparently the polishing wheels on a converted washing machine won't get me rolling in an aircooled! well, that was the jist of it! :)

mEGTp.jpg

James stripping CV Joints

0SqV5.jpg

Rear hubs changed out for crossover ones..... ready for Porsche rear disc conversion :D

bgETC.jpg

NRbU2.jpg

Better get these sorted!

So while I dug out the two corner cuts I got last Vanfest, James got stuck into the rusty bits under the fuel tank
y6I72.jpg

qxAeC.jpg

and I had a go at getting this
T0KVS.jpg

To this
YpnwZ.jpg

mQSGp.jpg

Admiring the handiwork :)

Got the rear OS tub cut down, too many previous bodges, filler, mastic and pop rivets etc holding this together!
qeu8F.jpg

cKLQw.jpg

CJVp8.jpg

While James was getting ready to drop the front beam out (clutch cable needed disconnecting) we came across this bodge
Mxz0O.jpg

Copper T piece used as packing! seen it all now!

Beam out
6mkOa.jpg

I got on at the back end and finished this off. Needs a bit more finishing, but pleased with how it's looking
04rDh.jpg

Getting there, and pretty happy at the mo :D

Well done Nick , Always better to have another chap to help things along , I am expecting the updates to come along more frequently now, Lots to do but lots done too , Glad the enthusiasm has returned , 8) 8)

Grazy said:
Well done Nick , Always better to have another chap to help things along , I am expecting the updates to come along more frequently now, Lots to do but lots done too , Glad the enthusiasm has returned , 8) 8)

Cheers Bud :D Vanfest 2011 here we come! ;)

A little more done today. Spending a lot of time scraping off shit from the underside and rear chassis. Looks like this has been resto'd before. From what I can tell this "original - not been messed with - blank canvas and ideal for an easy fix" has been blasted underneath before, red oxide and then underseal!!! most of the original chassis paint has gone and some of the red oxide is still sticking, but most of it just flakes off once you get through the rock hard underseal. Looks like the body has been sprayed at least 3 times :) (not including the original paint) looks to have had the standard Devon white top half, but below the waist line has then been sprayed yellow (not a 69 Devon option so I guess at a later date), metallic blue (possibly in the 80's??) then red oxide and finally VW Blue, but it's not the same blue as the original and the inside. Not far off but not the same. Mollie was originally Neptune Blue, so that's what she'll be going back to eventually :)

Anyway, enough gassing!

Late last year I started taking the rear cross member off and trying to save it for Karl at Autocraft so he had a template to make us some decent replacements :)
VMnhH.jpg

So here it is, now stitched back together. Just a few measurements to take for Karl and then it will be winging its way in the post. I'm really impressed with the quality of the panels I've had from them.

So here's the Autocraft 64-67 rear crossmember.
B27Ar.jpg

A bit too short (which I knew) so....
BiSME.jpg

Folded up some extensions...
iYhaH.jpg

And starting to spot weld in place
lzEj5.jpg

Hopefully some more over the weekend :D

Love the way some folk on here are so clever with their hands - great work dude 8)

Cheers Andy :) Got the bug now! got to roll her as soon as possible! Need to get to a few shows this year, Peppercorn, White Noise, Alive n Dubbin, Action, Vanfest etc (and definitely Ninove next year!) Plan is to get the underneath perfect, well as perfect as I can :) Get all the chassis scraped off, cleaned up, metal ready, acid etch, seam sealed, red oxide and then white stone chip. I was going down the POR-15 route but having read so many resto's on here, SSVC, VZI etc it seems to be difficult to prep afterwards for anything else and gives mixed results. I'll give it a good coat of waxoil once it's finished which hopefully will keep it solid for a while to come! Next up is getting the rust on the body work sorted, window surrounds, arches etc and then prep and paint the repair areas so it's not going to start rotting again. The rest of the body work will wait until next winter. She's never going to be a show winner, but I do want her looking as straight and clean as possible, but not too shiny and straight that I don't want to park her in Tesco's car park! :D

Got the front end sorted (almost) going to be notched with Slamwerks tubs and K&L 4" narrowed beam, Transporterhaus spindles, porsche 944 brakes, but still not sure which rims to run. Might also go for a remote servo as well! We'll see :) Back end getting notched with adjustable spring plates and an Oldspeed Porsche 944 brake conversion. So hopefully will be low :) (aiming to get her lower than Grazy's panel ;) )

Still got to refresh the engine, which was running when I took it out, so hopefully just a case of replacing the consumable items, cleaning, setting up and adjusting then dropping straight back in. Last up will be a new loom that I'll knock up, putting enough extra's in for future bits and pieces.

Both my kids have got the bug now, this enthusiasm must be infectious! Both want to know when we can go away for a weekend :D (not sure it'll be ready for the school holidays but hey!) so that's driving me too! Right, back into the garage and more "quiet work" like underseal scraping until it's OK to fire up the power tools.

Sounds like you have a plan which appears to be very cunning :mrgreen:

Make sure you keep those pics coming mate ;)

Looking good!!!
Would be cool if you could get it ready for Alive & Veedubbin, a nice local show for Mollie to show her new look off. :D

Latest posts