Roof chop a bay......would you dare!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippi

Reaction score
I have been flicking through the pages of some old total vw mags and came across some roof chopped bugs which imo look damm cool :!: and it got me thinking that i have nether seen it done to a bus, now before you all panic im not sat here fitting a fresh disc to the cutter just yet but ive always wanted to really customise a bay and than show it at the next type 2 owners club meet :lol: as im sure they would appreciate it :evil:.
So would you dare to be different or have i gone raving mad :shock:

Saw one a couple of weeks ago at Berkely castle in the car park. A white one with a chopped roof, custom all encompassing dash and a gear shift that didn`t look to be VW :shock: Didn`t get to look at the junk in the trunk, but I had an idea with the vents etc on the rear that it wasn`t a standard aircool jobby. Loved it and now I know I should have shot it with the phone. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, 20 - 20 hindsight :lol: 8) :lol:

It has been done :D

If you take a look at this page the splitty with the reg JWE 181C has had a chop, more of a rake as the roof slopes forward when you see it in the steel as it were

http://rat-look.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1428&view=next" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8328_1225526042769_1367552337_638371_263489_n.jpg

Not easy as the roof pillars curve and by cutting through the A posts etc you lose all the structural integrity of the bus, they are carefully folded sections in there that when you roof chop you can only weld up the other edges not the bits in the middle, not a great idea IMHO

There was a couple of bays done years back, one was a custom monster nicknamed the 'alien' and had a snakeskin interior and crazy grafted in front lights, the roof was chopped but the screen was tilted/raked back as cutting one down was too difficult. It was a monstrosity, but cool at the time.
Also, the automanics guy off of VZi had a body chopped bay commercial. It was full screen height, but the body had had about threee inches removed all the way around. Very clever, but odd looking.

I do have some pics of both somewhere, but they are printed out on paper stuff, like what we did in ithe old days. :lol:

I looked at that bus a while ago at a show and wasnt that keen,but you do what makes you happy.

Mid 90s there were a few one up in Donny bright yellow kind of thought it was cool then ...... cant see why now maybe cos I couldnt get in it now without bitching about my aching back

I know what you mean about the back ache Aaron :D its prob your age fella, back on topic... I think its a mid life thing but Ive always fancied really going to town on a bus...you know..that kinda hot rod look 8) with flames and a HUGE engine :lol: as for the roof chop....it has to be on a late bay as an early is just too damm precious for metal melestation ( sorry latebay guys ) ;) although i would half consider a crossover :D

Latest posts