Roxy the '71 Panel - So That's What's Wrong With the Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi George

Sorry dude .. not been on here for a while .. and not done much with bus!

MOT'd nowbut it had a paddy the day after and spat brake fluid everywhere..repaired it straight awaybut stayed in garage since! .. till spring now I guess:)

Panel looking well .. hope ya get ya motor sorted...Bin the French shit! ;)

Hilly

First day on the van in 6 or more week: engine service time!

Oil dropped, gauze cleaned out, new gaskets and refitted.

Then came the tappet adjustment...

DSC_0215_zpstrhneeie.jpg

Heavy duty springs my ass! Spring snapped in to 3 pieces.

No idea what's happened to the valve yet. Keeping all fingers crossed. Bent the push rod tube too! Do straighten or replace it or all 8?

That'll explain the problems from December then! Ran it 100 miles home on just 3 cylinders... Oops!

Back down again tomorrow to pull the engine and assess the damage properly.

Engine out
Back to long block
Snapped spring
Bent pushrod
Bent valve
Knackered guide
Lightly damaged piston?
Fubar'd case stud
Head off
Removing of guide unsuccessful
Probably knackered the head

Bollocks.

A few big thank yous required:

Adey: the offer of your 1300 cylinder head was too kind! Unfortunately the machine shop near me are too busy for my timescales, otherwise it would have been peachy.

VW Heritage: for sending me replacement HD springs, despite how long ago I ordered. I know you didn't have to do anything but once again you've shown the reason why I buy my stuff from you guys! Awesome customer service.

Ken: cheers for the loan of the spring compressor. It's far better than my own and makes the job so much easier!

Dad: for helping me with yet another engine drop on a freezing January weekend, and hopefully an install on another cold Saturday!

Roll on Saturday - fingers crossed for going for a nice wee drive!

Just read through your whole thread super cool panel :D love the engine bay lighting just looks awesome.
sucks to see the problems with your engine and good luck to having it back on the road :D

Smithy2801 said:
Just read through your whole thread super cool panel :D love the engine bay lighting just looks awesome.
sucks to see the problems with your engine and good luck to having it back on the road :D
Aww shucks, thanks Smithy :oops:
Feeling pretty optimistic for tomorrow - hopefully I'll have a nice update to post by the evening!

Didn't get as far as I would have liked today... Why does it always take so much longer to put things back together?!

Engine is all built up but no daylight left for an install. Might try blag an afternoon off this week, weather forecast permitting, to get the thing back in.

DSC_0254_zpstd9zao6y.jpg

That was short lived...

DSC_0302_zpsnwrdysau.jpg

Blocked vacuum port on carb!

At least it was an easy diagnosis and will be an easy, yet highly awkward, fix.

Latest posts