Running in new engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruscendrix

Reaction score
Hi, i've just had a new stock engine fitted in my bus and it drives so much better! :D Only thing is, i wanted to go down to Devon in the van at the end of the month, which is a 400 mile round trip, but i've been told not to go on any long runs with the new engine for a few hundred miles.

I've done 200 miles so far, but how many miles should I leave it before I can do this? I'll get it re-serviced beforehand too

Cheers
Rob

cant see what the difference is with long drives or short ones?
i would guess longer distances would be better because engine is upto temp as opposed to short trips round town stop start??
as long as you dont race or labour the engine i guess you would be ok,saying that if i'm wrong someone will be along to correct me.

i have just completed a 500mile run in period on me recon case with new internals,each drive i did was around 70-100 miles ago really steady and changed oil at 200 miles and again just after 500miles with a valve clearance check,i was paranoid with the dipstick temp check :lol: :lol: see previous posts :oops: :lol: and i have a 10 night break at end of july towing a trailer with all the rest of the parafinalia to boot and that will be just about breaking the 600-650mile barrier on the way down.

i am sure someone with better knowledge will along to put me straight..

I think you're looking to avoid long, constant rev runs - so it should be a mix of short runs, stop start, motorway etc. at least the what I'm aiming for with mine, and then, as said above, change oil, check tappets

mark prosser of autotechniks told me to run mine round the M25 a couple of times to get the miles up, at a steady rev range around 3000. I never knew if it was said tongue in cheek or not but i think he was serious....

In my early days of driving I was told to avoid high revs and the engine struggling in too high a gear.

The perceived wisdom was to vary the load and speed whilst avoiding these extremes and to avoid running at a constant speed all the time.

This was in cars with 1940/50s designed engines so fairly similar to the Type 1 engine 'technology'

chad said:
In my early days of driving I was told to avoid high revs and the engine struggling in too high a gear.

This. ^^

Just drive it normally without thrashing it, it will be fine.

Like Trikky says, normal driving will be fine. The yanks don't believe in 'running in' motors which is why they always kill them...

Latest posts