Seat fitment, help needed please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanmck1984

Reaction score
I've finally found the time to start fitting a pair of original seats i got hold of. The existing seats have been welded in to place! So far after about 5 cutting discs and a few curses it's getting there....but....there only seems to be one bolt hole to hold the passenger seat at the rear right if you were sitting on it. Everything under the steel bar looks original. Just wondered if you guys had any idea?

The drivers side look a bit more normal. Is this the correct length of runners and is it just a case of sliding the seat in? cheers :)

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

sparkywig said:
There aren't any runners for the passenger seat.
The bar at the rear of the seat base clips into two brackets on the wheel tub and then the backrest hooks under a bracket on the seat bulkhead.

Cheers for the reply. So that's where the problem lies then! Haha. I take it the seat base clips bolt in to the threaded hole that's there or are welded in?
Once the seat clips in to the base clips is that it? Is the front of the seat not secured in some way?
Also, does that look like the correct runner size for the drivers side? I just don't want to remove the seat then be stuck and I can't drive it!
Cheers for the help.

That's a big help :) So hunting the Internet for a few of these it is then!
Think i'll hold off on the drivers seat until I source a little more info on the original set up first! :lol:

You can buy the seat brackets from Karmann Konnection

Scroll down on this page:

http://www.karmannkonnection.com/acatalog/Karmann_Konnection_New_Products__Bus_1968___79_33.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You've still got the runners for the drivers seat, or one of them at least. If you're careful, you should be able to cut and grind the new runners away and save the originals. It looks like the teeth bits which engage with seat for back and forwards adjustment have been bent down, so you'll need to bend them up a bit.
With the passenger seat, the front isn't fixed because when you lift it up, the backrest bit lowers slightly and disengages the hook from the hoop on the bulkhead.

Thanks for the info. Both sides are still there on the drivers side so that shouldn't be to much of a problem. I got a hold of the two brackets for the passenger side so just need them welded in and it should be good to go! :)

Latest posts