Setting my ignition timing?????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICH-I-AM

Reaction score
Evning all.
1st off my engine is a 1600cc SP Motor.
I need to set my timing in the morning and if i remember correctly i need to set my timing from the far left (of 3) mark on my bottom pulley to the joint in the crank case. Thing is, just to the right of the joint in the case there is a centre punch mark in the block. Thing is should i set it to the case joint or punch mark?
The engine is totaly standard inc og vacuum advance dizzy.

Cheers

Rich.

Best thing to do IMO is:

Take spark plug out of number one cylinder.
Use a socket extension or similar push through plug hole.
Turn engine over by hand until you get the top of the piston travel on number one
See where the pully notch lies in relation to the case split line.
This will give you TCD on number one which you need to be able to time engine.

Next you need to find out what carb and dissy combination you have. SVA dissy should end in a part number like 205T or similar, check on oldvolks home web site.
If its the correct SVA for the single port engine then its timed as 0 deg (TCD No one) at tick over 850 plus/minu 50 rpm with vac hose disconnected and plugged.
The best way to time an un know dissy is dynamically as this way you wont over advance your engine and cause detonation, work on about 3200 RPM for max advance, ie strobe with advance function so at 3200rpm notch is in line with case.
Or bring it round and I will help.

You should also reset your valve clearances first with a cold engine.

Cheers for that.
Gone away for a bit of work atm but will have a go when i get it back (next week).
Got a dti at work, il see if i can get that in.

Thanks again

Rich 8)

Latest posts