Should I keep my spare on the front of my bus???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraggle

Reaction score
Noticed mine was the only bus wearing a spare wheel on the front in the line up at the weekend (see caroles Volksworld pics)

Is it pucka or pants on my bus.....you decide!

Have to say mate that IMO bays look nicer with no wheel on front , but it`s your bus mate do what you like best .
But if you want advice , Rip it off and get a nice chrome badge off skitts7 on here 8)

i have the wheel on the front but its coming off, thing is i dont know where to put it? as i want to remove the rear wheel well for more engine bay space for a heater etc.

I saw some cool westy style roof racks with a special wheel shaped rail to store it on top but cant find them online :? . Id love to see if slim adi has been working on anything new? i know they were talking about it in a thread earlier in the year.

Was going to mount mine on the front as I already have the holes, but decided not to when it was pointed out to me that all the weight is hanging on just one thin skin. Ive bought some tyre weld for general use and will put the spare on the roof when I go away,mines a Westy so its got a built in roofrack.You can get a rear carrier,Bluebird do them.

found these pics....

ebrack03.jpg

ebrack02.jpg

ebrack01.jpg

i really like the design[/img]

That is ace Johnny - that's the kind of thing that I too, would like 8)

Wouldn't fit my bus that as it is a westy. I like the tyre on the rear roofrack but it doesn't fit in my garage with it on.

:)

Jonny - is that a roofrack that someone has customized?

As i already have the holes drilled in the front to carry the spare wheel mounting bracket, my spare is going on the front

Mine was there,yellow Westy with the spare wheel on the front,I was lined up slightly away from the rest though as I got there last! Anyway I'm going to take the spare wheel off as it looks a bit ugly,is more dangerous if you hit someone with it and bends your front panel.If you looked closely at the front of mine at the weekend you will of noticed my front panel has been dented in badly and filled in and sprayed in the wrong shade (a bit wobbly) It didn't help that previos owner also hit something on the passenger side lower corner also.My next job is to remove the spare wheel,remove the bracket which screws into the badge clip holes,repair the front panel and fit a badge on there.

If you remove your spare wheel you should find that the bracket screws into the badge holes and you can just remove the threaded bracket clips and fit plastic badge clips in there instead and fit a badge on :wink:

Do you want my honest opinion? :D

I think I made my thoughts clear on Saturday over a couple of Cannonballs but just in case the Spiced Rum erased the evening what I said was "It looks a bit g......"! and then we all just sat around farting.

VWAIRCOOLED said:
,is more dangerous if you hit someone with it and bends your front panel.

EXACTLY! It's bloody dangerous, there is NO strength whatsoever in the front panel so if you have a crash the wheel is the first point of contact and is going to come into the cab and crush your legs.

If you look at late karmann gypies etc with the wheel mounted to the front from the factory they have an extended deformation panel so the bumper/deformation panel/chassis legs are the first point of contact in the event of a crash.

Those bluebird customs wheel carriers aren't really designed for an early bumper so they need fettling, they also are, in my opinion, a pain in the arse for access to the engine bay (as the wheel folds down exactly where you want to be kneeling) and look ugly.

There are only 3 options that are any good
1) Stock location for the spare
2) Roof Rack mounted
3) Mounted on a roo bar (obviously it will hit first in the event of a crash but the rooies are bolted to the chassis rather than a non structural panel)

I don't know why people would want to ruin the look of an early bay front end and risk crippling themselves in the process!

Latest posts