Should I tell the DVLA...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humphrey

Reaction score
Hi all, I swapped out the old 1600 for a 2332cc, what do you think...should I inform DVLA about the new engine? There is a section for it on the registration certificate "Section 7: Changes to Vehicle" where you can update the engine number and CC rating, does anyone know if this is a legal requirement or not? Because we are tax free I assume the engine size doesn't come into it? Any other implications, for or against?

I am guessing that insurance companies check that those details given on proposals match those on the DVLA database, so I'd tell them, personally.

Kev

I know not of the legalities of whether you should tell the DVLA or not, but I suspect you should. However, if you do decide to do so, then good luck with it!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will need to provide evidence of the engine size change, such as a letter from the garage that did it for you, which leaves you sort of screwed if you did it all yourself! :x

I thought it would have been really easy when I swapped my 1641 from my fastback to my bus, especially when the fastback was already registered as a 1641 and it was a straightforward engine change from one vehicle to another. Nope!! I still had to provide proof of the change in engine size. Fortunately I still had the engineers report from when the engine was built back in '96 and got in touch with the bloke who built it for me to write a covering letter to go with it.

DVLA = PITA!

Have a look at your vehicle registration document (V5) if the engine number is mentioned then I would say it is best to inform the DVLA so that your new engine number can be entered instead of the old one.
If there is no engine number on there then it probably just up to you as I think the main reason is about collecting the correct vehicle excise duty if you put a bigger engine in, although for a historic vehicle it doesn't make any difference because it goes by when the vehicle was first manufactured.

My V5 doesn't have any engine number entered.

Insurance is obviously a separate matter.

It's not required in law but personally I would as I like things to be on order, only problem you may have is the DVLA believing its not of a round capacity i.e. 2 litre, In my old van I had a 1641 and they wouldn't believe that this was the cc.

When I moved house I sent off the v5 logbook with change of cc and engine no. boxes filled in and it wasn't questioned at all.

I wrote to the dvla about the same thing advising the new engine code etc, they then sent me a letter back after 6 weeks or so advising they needed an official letter from Vw proving the engines capacity etc, basically couldn't be arsed especially when all they had to do is go on any vw website to confirm it themselves! I did however inform the insurance company tho just to be on the safe side! Enjoy the new lump! Vroom vroom

Thanks all. So I've told the insurers, no problems and DVLA can remain in the dark. Seems like they don't give a stuff anyhow!

Very opportune, my new engine is being fitted this week. I have told insurance, who weren't in the slightest bit concerned which made a nice change, but never even thought of telling dvla.

Having read the responses, think I'll carry on not thinking of telling them 8)

I changed my engine at the beginning of the year, from a stock to a 1641, I told the insurance company, and filled in the V5 with the new details of capacity and engine number and sent it off to the DVLA, the DVLA sent a new one updated back. No problems. All in order.

mister said:
I changed my engine at the beginning of the year, from a stock to a 1641, I told the insurance company, and filled in the V5 with the new details of capacity and engine number and sent it off to the DVLA, the DVLA sent a new one updated back. No problems. All in order.

Typical government department, seems to very much depend on who picks it up at the other end as to how things happen! :roll:

Latest posts