should this lowering setup work

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shea

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking to get my bus lowered more for dubshed in march, it's currently on a red9 ez-rider kit which is lowered about 3.75 inches I'd say.

I was going to go the K&L route but I was told I'd need Brazilian spindles (my bus is a 71) which are £800 so I'm thinking of getting a narrowed ball joint beam and transporterhaus 3.5" dropped spindles instead and then adapting the ez-rider kit to work with the narrowed beam like Mr Whitewalls has.

This would give me a 5.5" drop, the rear is on horseshoe plates at the minute and I'm planning of going down a spline which should match the 5.5" drop at the front.

So I'm wondering if a 5.5" drop is asking too much from a ball-joint beam and if anyone knows what level of notching I'd need at this height

Any helps would be appreciated thanks!

it seems like a very expensive way to lower a bus, is a ez rider kit not 2K to start with? then a set of dropped spindles and a narrowed beam, being around 400 quid ish each? then making it all fit surley there is a way to get the van mega low for less than the 3k that its gonna cost you? will the comfort and riveablity of the ez rider kit not be lost that low? im going the other way from a low bus looking to get an ez rider kit

I think you're thinking of the wishbone kit that's 2k, I've got the coilover kit that costs around £450 although I bought my ones second hand

Ah i see lol! I got mine down by 4.5" on a narrowed ball joint beam with transpoerhaus spindles, I coudlnd tub (i am 6ft 5 and its tight withour putting skinny based seats in) but the drive was horrible snatchey and hard but i am getting older.... hence wanting the ez rider wishbone set up

I'm hoping because I'm narrowing the beam and just adding dropped spindles I should have a similar ride to what I have now with the ez rider kit which is very good in my opinion. The spindles will provide most of the drop and I'd have the coilovers wound up fully so the balljoints should have good travel too. I'm 6ft 4 and reluctant to tub for the same reasons as you!

at 4.5" down what do you think you'd need to do to get to 5.5" spannermonkey?

I would have had to notch and tub, and prob a k and L set up because there are some horrible angles going on with the ball joints, i think i may have some pictures on my home computer, if i get a chance will up load them to the bucket to show you

not what I wanted to hear haha! Because I would be adding the 3.5" dropped spindles and coming up on the coilovers my balljoint angle should be better than what it is now so I don't think I'll have a problem there. With the bus lowered 3.75" at the minute there's around a 1-1.5" gap between the arch and the tyre so it might work. I'm wondering if the beam clearance from the ground will become an issue 5.5" down? the wheel/tyre combo I'm running on the front is 175 65 on stock 14" wheels.

that's not far off the set up I have, I have the Transporterhause welded dropped spindles and the Red 9 design 3-4" lowering kit, although mine is all on a standard width beam. my van drives really nicely, I would say the only downside is that by using an early bay beam, it does sit quite close to the floor, whereas if you had a KnL beam they sit higher in to the van.

Mark

how my van sits at the moment

thanks! so are the welded spindles 2.5" ? how far down on the coilovers are you? my wheels would be smaller than yours so from the looks of it the beam could be a good 1.5-2" closer to the ground on the setup I'm proposing

yeah 2.5, no idea how far down the coilovers they are, I know I had to raise them up. what wheels and tyres are you running, mine are 15" with 175/50/15 tyres I think.

Mark

175 65 r14 fronts and 185 r14 rears. I'll get a pic up of the arch gap it has at the moment on the coilovers

Latest posts