Show me your... Padded dashes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89Rallye

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of these 'show me your..' threads but I'm trying to find pictures of padded dashes and google etc is turning up blank.

Basically I have a padded dash which has the typical US cracks etc, I'm not sure if I want to re-trim it or strip and paint it.

I'm really looking for re-trimmed coloured dashes and not just the usual black. I'm thinking beige and cream or maybe beige and brown but can't decide what to do.

Here's my old late bay. Vinyl wrapped but no foam underneath. Would lose too much detail unless the foam is moulded. Super strong glue. I like the contrast of a painted dash.

HarryandFelix043-1.jpg
[/quote]

I stripped all the padding off my US dash and got it blasted and primed then re trimmed to match the upholstery...

aguhe9y7.jpg

uqe5unev.jpg

emy8ezy4.jpg

As you can see the padded dash has slots on the ends, ideal position for tweeters...;-)

Cheers guys, exactly what I was after and even pretty much the colour I want.

Interesting to hear about the foam, I am aware about the slots in the padded dashes and I don't like them tbh :oops: so was intending on refoaming the dash to get rid of them.

Tricky this trimming lark and takes more thought than you think! I did intend on flocking the top but I'm worried about matching the colour so I might just recover the lot.

I've been thinking of doing this!
Is it a big job?
Can anyone give me a rough idear of what's involved to get the dash out

monkiboy said:
All original "Painted" 1968 dash.... I LOVE the look of a painted/early style dashboard :)

Lol, well you ignition switch and cigarette lighter says different :lol: but looking good!

shiplee123 said:
I've been thinking of doing this!
Is it a big job?
Can anyone give me a rough idear of what's involved to get the dash out

It's not a big job to get out and can be done with the most basic of tools (like most things on these vans). As for re trimming it well I'll let you know in about a week :D

Hi,

Take a look at Rackham's westy resto:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37034&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tan finished dash. Someone one here recovered the handle etc in leather, I know Rackhams also did this...

Cheers,

Alistair

Still no trimmed original padded dashes though,

looking at mine now with the vinyl off it I can see how tricky they are to trim and doubt it could be done in one piece without stitching it.

I'd rather keep the original padded look rather than having a smooth dash.

Latest posts