Side Load Door Catch Adjustment ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camper Man

Reaction score
I have been faffing around with the catch plate and lock mechanism on my side load dor for ages now and have not got a clue what to try next.......can anybody give me the run down from start to finish of how to set the catch / handle adjusment on the side load door ??

The door will slam shut from the outside, but when i lift the handle to pull the back of the door in it will not stay caught on the catch plate, so i have to push the back edge of the door, it rather annoying !!

The other problem is i cant slam it far enough when i am inside the van, so i definately cant turn the handle to engage the catch properly from inside it either !!!!

Please help.

Camper Man :roll: :!: :?:

Hiya Camp,

Adjusting the slider can get a bit complex, especially if it is way out of whack to start with.

Here are a few things to check out............

Make sure that your neoprene plastic sliding block (it runs the track under the track cover) is in good shape. This part is available new and easily replaced.

Check to make sure that the rest of your sliding hinge link assembly is in good operating shape. Most of these things are pretty "iffy" after 35 years of slam-bang.

Examine the door when it is shut completely. Gaps between the door and the body should be even and the door should lie perfectly flat with the body.

Oh, and don't expect that the door will slam shut and latch IF you have all the windows on the Bus closed up tight. It may (or it may not) depending on how air-tight your Bus is.

or it could be the link needs adjusting (shortning)from handle to rear mecanism,or wear in front mecanism lift handle and see how far it moves before link moves.

After reading this went outside to the garage to check my handle. Never bothered checking but my handle doesn't go all the way up. Wondered why there was always a little gap between the door and floor!! Being a complete gimp can anyone give me a step by step for idiots on how to adjust this and/or bits to replace?

Thought I'd keep it on this thread rather than start a new one.

The best way of adjusting the sliding door is to remove the inside trim panel.

There is a solid bar/cable with an adjuster in the middle (from memory), by adjusting it will loosen or tighten the cable thus adjusting the effectiveness of the mechanism.

I only know this because of the first time I camped in my bus I shut the door to go to bed, the boy and wife were asleep, the boy was in the cab bunk, all my Vanfest purchases were on the front seats including a set of wheels and tyres, csp discs etc. 3 am need a pee, went to open the sliding door from the inside.......nothing :mrgreen: We were stuck, I did open the drivers door in the end but woke the boy up and had to walk him for an hour to get him back to sleep....... :|

It works a treat now.

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay in getting back.......Work !!! who needs it !!!??? Roll on summer,

Now i have broke up i will try and give some of the points raised a check......i will keep informed.

Any other thoughts from anybody would be much appreciated, we could have a complete how to guide by the end of this if we are lucky

Cheers

Camper Man :)

faux said:
The best way of adjusting the sliding door is to remove the inside trim panel.

There is a solid bar with an adjuster in the middle, by adjusting it will tighten the cable thus adjusting the effectiveness of the mechanism.
It works a treat now.

I had this problem and the above solved it!

Latest posts