Slamwerks beam swivel pin

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markevo30

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking at trying to get my bus to steer a bit better (ain't we all!) so i thought i'd change the bushes and swivel pin as there seemed to be too much movement. I bought a swivel pin (idler pin) kit and removed the pin tonight to have a look. As you can see from the picture below the (stock) replacement pin and associated parts (top row) are different to the bits on the custom beam. No massive surprise i suppose, i should have seen the difference in length of the pin when it was still fitted. The bushes that are still in the beam seem to be a different outside diameter so they're staying put. My question is about the order, number and type of washers and seals that came off my beam. Does anyone know if what was fitted is correct? It does differ from the stock arrangement quite a lot, the biggest difference being the position of the spring washer. I'm tempted to put it all back together using the old bushes and existing shorter pin but using the new washers etc fitted in the 'correct' order. Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mark

I'm sure the spring washer goes on the bottom. If you know a machine shop they can shorten that pin for you and put that groove in on the mill. The original pin doesn't look worn, is everything else ok?

On a stock beam the spring washer does go on the bottom. I was wondering if the aftermarket beam was designed differently and therefore needed to be put together in a different way. I can't imagine that being the case though, I just wanted someone else's opinion, maybe someone who's built up a similar beam.

Having inspected all the parts they're all in pretty good shape which is hardly surprising as I'm sure they've only covered a few thousand miles since the beam was fitted. If it was put together incorrectly though that might explain the play that I've got.

Latest posts