Sleeping bags?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwinston72

Reaction score
I want to buy a couple of single sleeping bags before we go off to the new forest in a few weeks time, can anyone help me with understanding the thickness / warmth ratings? does it just work that the higher the number before the gsm it is the warmer it is?

also does anyone recommend any particular brands or places to buy them?

Cheers people! :D

Can't tell you where too buy but can reccomend the snugpak ones. I bivvy a lot and there light and very warm I use a 3 season one.

cheers for the reply i'll google them now!

Anyone one else got any suggestions?

:mrgreen:

we have two katmandu Columbus goosedown sleeping bags - one right hand zip and one left hand zip which we join together to make a double. its brilliant, never too hot and never too cold
the kids have outwell sleeping bags which have cheap synthetic insulation and keep them warm in spring and autumn but I know if I slept in one it would be hot and horrible!

gooutdoors always have offers on which is where we got the kids and we bought using the temp range info - comfortable between x and y degrees, useable between a and b degrees.

I'd always go for a three season bag, summer only is pointless and a full on winter sleeping bag will cook you!

http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/columbus-v7-sleeping-bag-lime-graphite.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deuter sleeping bags are good & a good price, Blacks own brand are ok too. The warmest & lightest kind of sleeping bag is a 'down' bag, they're filled with feathers but if they get wet they don't keep you warm & they are a bitch to dry. The other type is a 'synthetic bag', basically it's a man made hollow fibre, it's lightweight & it will keep you warm even if it gets wet, the only downside is that it doesn't pack down as small as a 'down' bag & may be a bit heavier. I wouldn't buy one that's too technical if your only using it in your van & not lugging it to the top of a mountain. They use a season rating to let you know how warm the sleeping bag will be, 1 season being the coolest ie warm weather, up to 4 or even 5 season for extreme winter use. If it's for summer use in the van I'd go for a 2 season bag, if you decide to use it in the winter you can add a 'sleeping bag liner' which would increase it to a 3 season bag...Hope this helps :shock: :D

Thanks for all the replys, some really handy info, i'm gonna have a good look through aload of them tonight and hopefully get a couple ordered.

Thanks again! :D

If you are going away with your Mrs get a double sleeping bag. When we camp we take the kids and when using the bus the mrs sleeps in their with my daughter and Sam and I sleep in the tent. I bought 2 Vango aurora double sleeping bags, not the cheapest (If you shop around you can get them for about £80 each I think) but they are great.

Have a look here - http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/family/344-aurora-double.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Better to be too hot than cold.

When I am on my own I use an ex army all season bag - handy having a future brother in law in the army I guess.

Latest posts