Sliding door struggles!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdeano

Reaction score
Hi all, i really struggle to shut the sliding door from the inside, have to shut it from the outside then climb in passenger side and thru the walkthrough!!, has new rubbers (1 year old), are all sliding doors like this if so do you put up with it or have you no problems at all, cheers dean

Hi mate.is this after adjustment?....there are several adjusting points on a sliding door.was it ok before new seal? New seal fitted right way round?

Ive not adjusted the door, the previous owner fitted the new rubbers so not sure if he did, where should i be looking to adjust, cheers

It adjusts at the top roller, the bottom roller and the hinge at the rear of the door. Then you can adjust the catches on the pillars as well. Trial and error unfortunately.

Have a look here.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SlidingDoor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

door seal rubbers car be pretty bad fitting i had to trim mine with a stanley blade to get my door shutting ok
does the door pull itself in when you pull up the handle? its supposed to on and early door but the cable might need adjustment.

No not really, door doesn't move any more, fits nice and tight when shut but needs a good slam as they say!, thinking the rubbers are stopping the back end from locking into place, might be a bit better once the rubbers have been 'squashed' over time!

Does it shut to the first catch/click easily, and you are just struggling to get it onto the second click with the back end all the way in?

Are you using the handle to pull the back end of the door in from the first click?

Not described it very well, but there we are.

70ownmanpage9.jpg

Yep, handle shuts but the rear never catches!, needs a good slam from outside!

bigdeano said:
Yep, handle shuts but the rear never catches!, needs a good slam from outside!

It doesn't catch at all?

Are there two notable catch positions, like on the front doors? :)

If not, your door catch adjustment could be way out, or something amiss.

if it shuts close with a real heavy slam, it should also close with normal slam then lift the outside handle up to pull the rear of the door in till it clicks. I had to loosen my adjusters after fitting a new seal. There is a picture of the adjuster for the rear catch here 3rd from the end.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SlidingDoor.html

I thought it was normal to have to slam the door to get it to close until recently when it would not stay shut. Turned out that the nylon block and wheel within the slider mechanism (attached to the 'U' bar) was badly worn. Cost £50 for the parts from VW Heritage.

Worth checking.

sparkywig said:
It adjusts at the top roller, the bottom roller and the hinge at the rear of the door. Then you can adjust the catches on the pillars as well. Trial and error unfortunately.

Have a look here.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SlidingDoor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is helpful as mine is out of line and requires some Pasty to close it... even harder work from the inside. Thanks. :D

Latest posts