Snapped front beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the beam closely it looks like the weld hasn't taken at all but I can't understand why the wheels have buckeled round like they have , did it rip the mounts out the chassis
Just seen last pic :shock:

That's nasty! Glad you got it fixed sharpish and didn't scupper any trips away.

Looks like the steering idler pin got caught up on the man hole cover. Something was always going to break in that scenario...

Jim

Another good thing about Slamwerks type beams .. raised idler pins!

I can't quite make it out properly on my phone but the welds look to be on the rhs of the split. The weakest part of a welded area is the metal next to the weld.

If you ask me that has had a major whack on the end plate causing the bolts to snap, then the beam to break. Not the other way around.

Need to stop coming on here on my phone. Making myself look a right tool :lol: Just loaded the man hole pic. Kind of self explanatory really :roll: :lol:

Well I guess it's a good demonstration of why vehicles have bump stops.

I think we have to be a bit careful here about slating who every welded the beam when the owner of the bus has stated in the gallery thread that he hit a raised manhole cover with the beam end plate but hasn't mentioned it in this thread.

Hitting the beam end plate on anything hard is likely to cause damage, admittedly more than I would have thought but the beam didn't just 'snap' as this thread suggests.

This is already being talked about on Facebook as a misleading thread with a link to this site which isn't good for the forum overall.

Good point G. The thread on the van is in Gallery, so I'll lock this now. It's pretty much concluded self .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts