Solenoid/starter motor problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurfer

Reaction score
Having a problem with my bus, it wont start. Had a look underneath today and it's all a bit confusing:
It appears that there is an additional solenoid wired in series with the original solenoid, if I bypass the additional one using a piece of metal, the bus starts.
There are two high tension cables attached to each solenoid and one low tension (going to the ignition switch I presume).
I can't understand the reason why there would be another solenoid or why both would have 3 wires connected.
I have looked at my manual and all wiring diagrams show only one solenoid, any ideas?

Cheers
Si :D

this is a new one on me aswell :? sorry if you have tried this but are the solenoids both connected into the starter gear if so would you fit a normal starter into the bellhousing gap and have you chased the wires to see if they go to the battery the low tension is self explanotory but the other 2 need following without seeing it -it sounds like some one has added a second solonoid mybe as a riggy way of charging a camping battery i could be wrong but some people are riggy ;)

Take some pics and show us, it sounds a really strange set up. Are you saying the ignition wire is going to the additional solenoid and when you bridge that to the original one it starts? In any case it sounds like you need to remove the additional one, once you can figure out just why they fitted it in the first place!

Latest posts