Solenoid wires on the starter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub wannabe

Reaction score
Hello there

I have got a new van, but it won't start. My initial look pointed towards the starter motor and solonoid.

The solonoid casing (the plastic bit) was cracked so I bought a new one yesterday. When I was taking the nuts off the Earth terminal & power terminals/stubs the plastic was so brittle it cracked and broke into many pieces.

In my haste to get these off I did'nt make a note of what wire goes where.

There are two threads/studs, a long one and a short one.........which wire goes on which stub?

I was assuming short stub got the Earth...is this right

The haynes manuel does'nt show or explain it very well. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Does this help?
DSC00592.jpg

Thats cool thanks. Thats how I've wired it up....but its still not starting.

Its going to be a long weekend .........

short the two studs out and does that get it working?

Is that put a screw driver across the studs?

Thats something I was going to do tonight/over the weekend. If that does'nt work does that mean the starter motor needs replacing?

After connecting up the solinoid last night I can hear a click which I'm assuming is the pinion form the soliniod. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've also bought a new starter bush that I will fit, just to see if that'll work.

I've taken out the battery to out that on charge, but I don't think thats the problem. :?:

I still can't get the thing started! The solinoid clicks but then nothing.

I can't get the starter off and I've got scrapped knuckles and a cut on my head, ar5e!

I've checked the earth, charged the battery....any body got a suggestion?

so even shorting the terminals (be careful thas gonna arc) wont spin the starter?

persevere in getting it out, intrigued how you cut your arse and head

I did'nt cut my arse, just my head :lol: on the hand brake cable mountings.

If I could get the starter off then I could have a look at it on my bench but I can only see one nut, but there does'nt seem to be another nut.

I have got a new starter motor bush too but if I can't get the thing off whats the point. I really wanted to drive it to Stanford Hall at the weekend, but I think the same thing is going to appen as last year....I drive my Ford to show and leave the VW at home :(

Lets see if i can help,

Hopefully you have 3 wires to the starter, 2 x thin red ( look close as one is slightly thicker than the other, determine which is which, thicker one should have a ring terminal on it) and 1x thick red.

the thick red and the thicker of the 2 thin ones (the one with the ring terminal,) if that makes sence, connect onto the stud terminal opposite the one with the braided wire going from the solinoid to starter. 13mm- m8 nut and stud.

the remaining wire connects to the male spade terminal 50 which as your looking from under the van towards the back of the bus, at the starter should be at 3 o'clock.

This is the correct way to wire up starter. if still no joy try as Araon suggests and place a large screw driver across the stud terminal with the thick red wire and the 1 with the push on terminal, have the ignition switched on this should bring the solinoid out and turn starter.

If still nothing then remove starter, there is a 17mm nut in the engine bay behind the fan and another bolt that has to be removed from under the van looking at the starter its roughly 7 o'clock.

if the starter works by shorting it out then problem lies either with wiring or ignition switch.
The thinner of the 2 red (push on terminal) is the cranking wire from the ign switch. if you have a multimeter, connect black to anywhere on the body or chassis to get an earth. Then connect red to the push on terminal and get a second person to turn the key to start possition and see if you have a reading of +12v. if not this is leading to switch or this wire.

if this does not help then you should look at the switch.. i can talk you through checking that too

later

Jon

if still no joy try as Araon suggests and place a large screw driver across the stud terminal with the thick red wire and the 1 with the push on terminal, have the ignition switched on this should bring the solinoid out and turn starter.

I tried this and it did'nt work

If still nothing then remove starter, there is a 17mm nut in the engine bay behind the fan and another bolt that has to be removed from under the van looking at the starter its roughly 7 o'clock.

I found the 17mm nut order under the van, but I could'nt find the other one (thats how I cut my head) and I did'nt find it cause its in the engine bay...I'm such a idiot! :lol:

When I bought a new solinoid I also bought a starter motor bush, do you think its worth changing over or does the whole starter need replacing?
I was reading the 'keeping your VW alive...for idiots' and he was saying in there that don't try to overhaul the starter yourself (bushes etc) just buy a new one.

I'll get that starter out tonight, by hook or crook or more cuts on my head. :x

no just do it its easy I put the commutator think that's what it's called in a drill and spun it on a bit of scotch brite comes up spotless, the fiddly bit is the brushes but much cheaper than new good luck with it. Frankie

Frankie,

when you did yours did you remember to clean out the carbon deposits in the commutator, (in the little grooves) as if you didn't this will cause a short and stop it from working.

:p

So I removed the starter, opened it up, gave it a clean and then reassembled everything.

Fitted to the bus last night, key in and.....................it only fired up first go! :D :party0053: :party0009: :party0041: :party0047: :party0049: :beerchug:

Some of the copper wires in the starter (going from to the bushes) will have to be replaced soon as they are very frayed, but it works! Its alive! Its alive I tell you!

I'm a bit shocked it worked actually, can you tell? ;)

Thanks for all the help guys its good to know there's poeople out there willing to type their wisdom into this forum. I'll probably be back soon with more questions.

Until then, take care. :anim_19:

Latest posts